A more fitting tribute section?

naulahka

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
With the recent passing of a living legend in the form of Sid Biberman,and
other irreplaceable Vincent enthusiasts/members we have sadly reached a juncture
where the MPH carries a litany of obituaries to the great and noteworthy in the history
of the club and marque.
I recently lent a few recent MPH's to a much younger friend and Vincent owner who carries
paid membership to other noteworthy makes of machine.His summation was that he felt
dispirited/downhearted with this litany of loss spread throughout our great magazine in the form of
obituaries to the great and noteworthy,and a dampener to anyone joining the club anew.
Cannot we carry a separate section in MPH to the testament/gravitas of these recently passed "Vincenteers",
who paved the way
for the rest of us,so individuals can focus on their significance,whilst the rest of MPH maintains
the more 'up beat' theme it did several years ago? I hate to sound like a heretic,but our future lies
in attracting the young and enthused Vincent fan,yet still retaining this fitting epitaph section?

Naulahka

Last edited:

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is a fact of life that we all have to die. I just lost my dear daughter to cancer-you cannot hide it away! We must celebrate the life and achievements of our friends here on this forum and in our magazine.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
100 years and all new people, that is life. I don't see the importance of finding new recruits, it seems an excercise in futility, especially if we must hide the lives and accomplishments of past members away from them.
Enjoy the bikes now and don't worry about the finding future club members to carry the torch when we are all gone. They will be off restoring their classic Yamahahahas or whatever struck their fancy when they were teens.

vibrac

VOC Member
100 years and all new people, that is life. I don't see the importance of finding new recruits, it seems an excercise in futility, especially if we must hide the lives and accomplishments of past members away from them.
Enjoy the bikes now and don't worry about the finding future club members to carry the torch when we are all gone. They will be off restoring their classic Yamahahahas or whatever struck their fancy when they were teens.

I am not so sure why do I love to ride my 1925 Douglas that was made 34 years before I started riding thats like somebody who started riding in 1990 loving a Vincent...

Dinny

VOC Member
I started riding in 1990 on my Honda 100, nowt wrong with that.. Only Japanese bike I've ever ridden and fallen off. Probably now done more miles on my Vin than I ever did on it as well, all since 2010, I'm a newby to riding them but been around them for years thanks to my Dad.

They get under your skin....

Albervin

VOC Member
I don't see obituaries a a "dampener". A well written obit will tell all who read it about the highs, the lows, the successes, the failures, the joy and the sorrow of the person. You get to "know" the person even if you have never heard of them before. Many of those who appear in MPH have been involved with Vincents in their own individual way, whether it is tuning, racing, touring, administration etc. and that is what makes the club what it is. It is true there has been somewhat of a sad plethora of obits of late but, when you look at the average age of a club member, it is to be expected. We are seeing many long time members reach the end of their days and the club is what it is due to them. Their lives need to be recorded in the club journal for those who come in the future so they will not be forgotten. It is the only way a member in Oxford will find out about the long serving, selfless person in Ohio who just went about his or her business for 40 years without wanting any recognition because they did what they did for the sheer love of it.