A high quality replacement magneto condenser

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Unfortunately, the Panasonic condensers I tested so extensively for use in Lucas and BTH magnetos are now out of production and no longer easily available:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467734#Post467734

However, I just completed a series of tests on an alternative that is currently in production and available at $2.70 for the pair needed for a magneto. As described elsewhere, I did an accelerated lifetime test to the equivalent of 20+ years of storage at 72 oF plus 30,000 miles of use at a very high operating temperature. Details are at:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508762#Post508762

Note that I have no financial stake whatever in these capacitors so I have nothing to gain whether or not you follow my recommendation. Also, it is worth emphasizing that the 20 years plus 30,000 miles is only a lower limit because, other than discoloration of the white plastic base, these capacitors showed no sign whatever of degradation when I ended the test after a month. There is no reason to expect they would not continue to last quite a bit longer.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Digi-Key is in Thief River Falls, Minnesota...about 2hrs away from me, and a good ride.
It's only fair that you come south of the border to give us some of your money, because my BSA Spitfire's tank is currently north of the border being worked on for a lot of my money. Unfortunately, Digi-Key discounts the price for large quantities, so make sure your saddlebags will hold at least 1000 of them to restore the trade balance.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
"A Lot" is not a unit of measure that I am familiar with, but I suspect that it is a term relative to either ones income, or to ones perception of what it might cost..either way "a lot" is something that we are all familiar with at one point in time or another.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
"A Lot" is not a unit of measure that I am familiar with, ...
There are several ways to define "a lot." One is, if the cost of a repair to just one component of a motorcycle is more than the entire motorcycle itself cost when new, that's "a lot." (hey, we're talking perception here, not inflation). Another is, if you were foolish enough to tell your wife what a repair cost and her reaction was "what?!!!," that's "a lot." In light of a recent thread on this site, another definition could be that if the repair costs more than the as-delivered price of a new painted tank complete with fuel cap and all badges made in India, some people might think that is "a lot." (unless they actually bought one of those tanks...).

The restoration of the bike in question that I'm spending "a lot" to have its tank repaired is described at:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=496950#Post496950

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
If I may be so bold...you worked on that instead of the Vincent? Charles, I'm going to have to take you under my wing...

Magnetoman

VOC Member
If I may be so bold...you worked on that instead of the Vincent? ...
And if I may be so bold, you've just revealed you didn't read all the way to the end: "I spent four hours in the garage yesterday moving motorcycle stands and boxes of parts around and straightening up to prepare for another project that has been gathering dust for as long as the Spitfire." So, yes, guilty of having worked on something else, but now that I've seen the error of my ways...

Ken Targett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
... However, I just completed a series of tests on an alternative that is currently in production and available at $2.70 for the pair needed for a magneto. As described elsewhere, I did an accelerated lifetime test to the equivalent of 20+ years of storage at 72 oF plus 30,000 miles of use at a very high operating temperature.
Sounds good :) But have you any test results on a statistically significant sample of them being used in motorcycle magnetos for a statistically significant length of time/mileage yet :confused:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Sounds good :) But have you any test results on a statistically significant sample of them being used in motorcycle magnetos for a statistically significant length of time/mileage yet :confused:

What Ken is referring to is a post I made on another forum referring to the fact he claims the slip rings he sells are "good components" based on him having conducted only a short test on one slip ring:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508555#Post508555

Originally Posted By: Magnetoman
So, the seller needs to do relevant tests on a statistically significant number of components before making claims about them, but the buyer only needs to test the one component they bought.

However, the other important point I made in that post was:

Originally Posted By: Magnetoman
I can conduct a test on only a few capacitors and have high confidence the result is representative of all such capacitors because it is possible to rely on the manufacturers' own tests and specifications... In contrast, a specialty product like a slip ring produced in very small batches by small companies without the reputation or quality control of a major electronics manufacturer is different. There conducing only one test tells you only about that sole component you have tested.

I have described my tests on these capacitors in detail at:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508762#Post508762

If someone doesn't think my test methods were sufficient, then they should look elsewhere for recommendations. Again, though, I have no financial stake whatever in these capacitors so I have nothing to gain whether or not you follow my recommendation.

Ken Targett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What Ken is referring to is a post I made on another forum referring to the fact he claims the slip rings he sells are "good components" based on him having conducted only a short test on one slip ring:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbth...555#Post508555

Sorry, readers, if this is getting argumentative, but the posting on the BritBikes forum that Magnetoman linked you to above contains a quote of just half a sentence I wrote on there, and is totally misleading. The full sentence said,
"As it happens, when I'm doing quality control checks on the slip rings and pick-ups that we sell, I choose a free weekend and leave the component on the slip ring/pick-up tester all weekend, which as it happens is about 60 hours."

No suggestion at all that I've only tested one slip ring!!! Also, my claim that they're good components isn't only based on my own tests, but also on the fact that the slip rings (and pick-ups) are made by an established British manufacturer who has been making them for decades, and supplying them to highly-regarded magneto builders and restorers to whom I have spoken to them to find out what problems, if any, they've had with them over the years.