A Good Reason to Join the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
From the Home Page:
"We are regularly contacted by relatives/previous owners of Vincent H.R.D. machines, who are keen to pass on old photographs/log books/tax discs/original sales receipts etc to current owners.
It really is a sad fact that we are unable to do this in many cases as we don't know the current owners of all Vincent/H.R.D. machines. We know many of these machines still survive, but the owners have decided not to join the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club for one reason or another."

Agreed!
So would it be better for VOC to accept these old photos etc to hold for passing on to owners when they are in contact in future?
Remember that the people offering these items are not likely to be around for ever - so it is better to take and hold these non-replaceable documents before they end up on the tip after a post fatality house clearance.
No doubt the VOC could think up many reasons why "It can't be done" but let us see the power of positive thinking!

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Could the photos and memorabilia be passed to the club archivist, Peter Bell for safe keeping for posterity? Just an idea.

On the subject of membership, sadly people do leave the club..... a good friend in Twickenham did not renew this year and his reasons were associated with his perception of club management and quality of MPH. Lot's of memories and knowledge are disappearing.

Conversely a chap at Kempton whom I know introduced his son to me today..... he has girdraulics, a UFM and RFM but no engine and wants to build a twin. I think he will be visting the forum although he me told it was barred to non-memebers (I put him right) with a view to making contact with the North London section..... he lives in St Albans. I advised him that this was the best way to generate contacts in the Vincent world. Then again he could build a new enginne from spares at a price!!

Vic

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
My goodness it would be criminal to lose the opportunity.....

I've been bidding on ebay and buying old log books that come up and where I haven't been able to trace the current owner of the bike just to keep these things for the future. Riders Handbooks often have bike data in them too.
We simply must find a way of preserving any material that is offered, I agree with Vic that the Club should be the first port of call.
I for one would vote that it would be good use of Club Funds to collect and preserve this material for the future.
If I can offer any help personally, be happy to do so (picking it up, moving it around, finding a dry and safe space for a bit of it etc).
Stuart

From the Home Page:
"We are regularly contacted by relatives/previous owners of Vincent H.R.D. machines, who are keen to pass on old photographs/log books/tax discs/original sales receipts etc to current owners."

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I've got some bits, not sure what might be useable?

Vic,

As you know my engine benefits from all new internals and I was lucky enough to get a couple of large boxes with the original engine parts in them.
I haven't been at this for long this time around so haven't got a garage full, and I'm not sure what in there is serviceable but I would be more than happy to let this young man have them for free if it will help him get on the way with a Vincent - I'm not sure how helpful a boxful of internals will be before he gets crankcases - but the offer is there if it is of any help.

Stuart

"Conversely a chap at Kempton whom I know introduced his son to me today..... he has girdraulics, a UFM and RFM but no engine and wants to build a twin. I think he will be visting the forum although he me told it was barred to non-memebers (I put him right) with a view to making contact with the North London section..... he lives in St Albans."Vic[/QUOTE]