"A" Comet Side stand

Clay

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yeah, Sorry Dinny, that's a lot of posts ago for my short attention span, I got diverted by the toilet and fruit attachments.

Thundercloud

Forum User
VOC Member
Like someone said (above) its the wheel size , springs etc., that determines the propstand length required. You can add a bit (you wont ever have to reduce the length) by whatever means you like . Bob Stafford was well aware of the deficincy and had castings produced with about two inches extra on the foot. This could be made more attractive by profiling it nicely in the lathe (after deciding the length you require) The " official" length was 8 7/8" from the pivot centre to the foot . this being the length as drawn by PEI in November 1931.for
The pre "A" Diamond frame models had the same basic dimensions as the "A"s but with a one piece cast iron pivot bracket rather than the later fabricated type. This did not affect the main dimensions , RFM pivot position etc but strangely the early brake pedal / propstand bracket had a SHORTER propstand mounting lug on it! This would have rendered the whole assembly even shorter. The 1931/2 models did tend to be fitted with 19" wheels and probably shorter rear springs (need to check) The early spring boxes and springs were supplied by Druids ( the fork makers ) and the spring boxes were fitted to their " Enclosed Spring " forks . Vincent obviously thought them a good idea and used them on his sprung rear end as well. For the real anoraks amongst you look closely at the springbox damper knobs on the very early models and you will see that they are stamped 1,2,3,4 to graduate the pressure applied . All a bit OTT given how quickly everything wore settled etc.,
Just to further complicate the issue I have p s legs on my 1936 TTC and my 1938 comet that are 9 1/4" so perhaps the factory recognised the problem later on and added a bit. This extra 3/8" seems to work on my machines but I have seen "A"s using up mosrt of the extra 2" provided by the Bob Stafford castings. Probably down to long Springs.!
Chers and Happy New Year
John Kidd

Clay

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks John.

I wonder why the problem seems so prevalent on the A, or is it all older bikes?

I got the Mike Breeding one for Xmas but haven't had chance to alter the hole yet to fit it. It's 1-1/2" longer so fingers crossed!

Happy New Year all!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
There is nothing more satisfying than making some thing that works effectively ( many I've done got reverted back to standard) home made just like my children. Very satisfying.