!950 Rapide C

jdhmike

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Gentlemen, I have located a numbers correct semi basket case 1950 Rapide C. Engine and chasis and front end intact, tank has been refinished and seat has been recovered. Fellow started to resotre in the late 1980's and passed away. Son says he will consider selling bike. It has been stored inside for approx 25 years. I suspect the motor will have to be redone after sitting so long. He reportedly installed new pistons and rings back then , however has not been run. What is a fair and reasonable price for this project? I have a number (6) other bikes and would really like to add this one to my collection. As well, I think it might be a great project to keep busy for awhile. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

jdhmike

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
No pictures available as still trying to make deal. Bike is as described. In the late 80's he decided to restore the bike. Tore it down, put pistons and rings in motor, sent wheels out to be redone, sent tank for paint, had seat recovered. Chassis, engine and front end assembled complete with wiring harness. The rest is in pieces. Also has certificate of authenticity. Any help re value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We have another thread where someone asks advice about selling is bike. Shouldn't these discussions be kept within the club?

I have no problems with non-members offering Vincent stuff to us, or asking price advice which can be sent as PMs, but do we need to publish or publicise prices and values to the outside world?

Isn't this the same problem as the number discussions?

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Isn't this the same problem as the number discussions?
It's quite a different issue. Auction web sites and classic motorcycle magazines regularly publish sale prices of motorcycles so it's widely known how much Vincents sell for, and how much more those with matching numbers sell for.

The problem isn't the ease with which information about prices can be found, it's the ease with which numbers can be stamped. Hence, there is good reason to attempt to keep information about numbers private. While a "good" disreputable person might not be daunted by this, the hope is lesser disreputable people might be. Anyway, since the information is already available in many places there isn't any reason to try to keep discussions of prices only between club members.