8" Diam Front Brakes by VOCSC

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Brakes

The 8" brakes are not twin leading shoe, they are the same single leading shoe arrangement as the original brakes. I have Vincent Vleet's PVL twin leading shoe set up which fits in standard drums, and if the 8" brakes are half as good as those they'll still be a huge improvement over standard. They (PVL) give an immediate response, single finger application, and that is precisely what I couldn't get the single leading shoes to give. My 7" drums provided (and still provide) adequate stopping, not sensational, but adequate, but they were very slow to bite. I found this nerve-racking in traffic where if the guy in front stops, half your space is eaten by reaction time, and a slow response from the brakes on top of that...
The 4ls kit cost about £1000 when I bought it, but this was governed by the GBP/Euro rate, at that time favourable. It was complete, and fitted straight on in about an hour. They may however have been reduced in price since (from a casual remark I overheard) so you really need to ask PVL. If "all" you want are decent brakes, discs are undoubtedly the best and (by far) cheapest option. 8" brakes are £975 from VOC, plus, I think, cables and maybe a new hollow axle.
What is the cost of the 4SL set up? I like the sound of it.

rwhitne2

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
8 inch diam front brakes by VOCSC

A brief report finally on the 8" brakes installed over the winter. Fitment fine, nicely made etc. Has rained 33 0f the past 40 days so riding limited, : 1st impressions - great great improvement (old ones had new shoes, in good working order). Now have confidence in normal quick stops. Not quite as good yet as the 2LS stock set up on my 69 TR 6 (which is the best drum brake I have ridden), but time should improve. Worth the money for sure. Mike Whitney