6V Batteries

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I run my B Rapide on 6v but do not have the generator connected (for various reasons). I have been frustrated by the lack of decent batteries recently and have come across the SHORAI brand. These are 6V 18 A/h units that fit inside an old rubber Exide/Lucas box. Because they are a sealed Li Ion type they can be mounted in any position which is handy. Does anyone have any experience with these batteries? Good? Bad? I figure I can run the bike for a week easily using LED tail lights and a low wattage QI bulb. I do not ride the bike at night due to wombats and kangaroos. Yes, I know Phelps does but I have had one too many close calls with the buggers.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sounds like an interesting battery Alyn, it seems to have an unusually high amp hour rating, as most gell 6 volt batteries i've seen are about 8 amp hour. Obviously the higher the better as i think the original lead acid batteries were about 13 amp hour. Are they readily available here in Aussie? What's up with your genny?? is it a three inch or the earlier 3 1/2 inch one to suit your Rap, they're not usually too hard to get up and running......cheers...Greg.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi there,

If you are not trying to match a generator, why stick with 6volts? The availability of 12v bits from any car or bike spares/accessories shop would seem to make changing to 12v neg earth worthwhile, especially if you aren’t connected to a charging system. What system do the wombats and kangaroos use, they apparently manage at night!

Cheers,

greg brillus

VOC Member
Not sure about the Wombats, probably about 1.5 volts flat out even in reverse, but the Roo's are easy........CDI....!!!