530 Drive Chain Problem

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just got a replacement Regina Professional RS 530 (non O ring) drive chain to replace the worn out item.

I tried to fit it but found it would jam in certain parts. I measured it compared to the old one and found it to be slightly wider across the rivets 21.7mm as compared with 19.7 mm so I am guessing this is the problem.

Any other members ecountered this issue before?, what make / model chains do you use?

regs

van drenth

VOC Member
Your chain is rubbing against the gearbox casing, have an close look ther where the sprocket is and the space between the casing. The best is to remove first the chain guard.
Regards, van Drenth JC

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I have gone to 520 O-ring chain and 1/4 inch sprockets. No rubbing and no oily rear rim.

John Mead

Rob H

VOC Member
I have gone to 520 O-ring chain and 1/4 inch sprockets. No rubbing and no oily rear rim.

John Mead

Think the casting on mine must be a bit generous, the 530 chain fits my mates vin no problem.

I have heard some 520 o ring chains being two wide also, think it boils down to the manufacturer of the chain and the individual casting on the bike.

Out of interest what is the width of your 520 O-ring across the end of the rivets, can you measure with a set of calipers?

davidd

VOC Member
My memory is awful...... but didn't Lightnings use a thin chain and sprockets?

Your memory on this issue is OK. The Lightnings and Flashes used 1/4" chains and sprockets. This was done for weight savings. Some street models had the stock chain and sprockets.

I have spoken to more than a few owners who took the self-milling route. It seems that there is quite a lot of variation.

David