'51 Comet Valve lifter cable question.

Skip Brolund

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all, I am new to this forum & wrenching on Vincents. A friend dropped off his '51 Comet for me to replace the magneto with a "new" K1F I just rebuilt. Long story short, while on a test ride today, the valve lifter cable broke at the bottom end. I have no manuals of any kind with the bike at present (will be ordering tonight). I assume the end of the cable goes through the tube in the back of the timing chest. Once the bike cools off a little, I will remove the timing cover & see what I can see. The bottom end of the cable has remains of solder, so I assume it just pulled out of the end & can be re-soldered ?
Thank you in advance for any advice, I am embarassed to ask, as I normally wouldnt work on a bike without at least a parts book, but I was only changing the mag :)

All the best,

Skip Brolund

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The cable is attached to a shaft outside of the engine. Pull the tube and the end piece the cable fits into away from the engine and all will be revealed.
Cheers, John

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

Attachments

• Cables002.jpg
    Cables002.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 39

Skip Brolund

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well, I just came in from the garage. The tube came of easily, I saw the brass barrel from the end of the cable in its place, still inside part E218 (?), so I used an o-ring pick & got it out just fine. I assume I am missing a piece that would be at the end of the cable sheath, before the tube?
photo attached

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 39