500cc

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
the first 500c comet and meteors were at the Earls Court show nov 1948 both were built in cycle assemby they had series B rear frame with the brake cable bose machined off and a make shift series A rear brake lever picture in Roy Harpers book the vincent gallery page 55 I do not think they were sold like this because after the show the series C rear frame came out. the oldest Comet I have seen in Australia is 2A 2839 mating number 75 frame number RC/1/4739 George Browns first race Comet was 2921 made by his brother Cliff

Robert Watson

VOC Member
/2966 is in Vancouver. HRD cases and girdraulics, C type RFM. Sold to Wellesley in Toronto, finished 29/10/49, shipped 04/11/1949

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Sorry must get it correct 499? Dealers press release dated 3/2/49 Series C Comet single-cylinder inclined forward at 25 degrees bore 84mm stroke 90mm capacity 499cc (30.5 cu ins) compression ratio 7.3 to 1bhp 28 at 5800 rpm massive crankcase in DTD424 alloy sorry must go to bed Im tired so must you all for reading this. I have the full press release it is 6 pages of A4 long..

b'knighted

VOC Member
Six pages of A4 - can we a a paragraph a day please?

Late seventies Conways in Goldhawk road sold off a big lump of a postwar single. I didn't see it but was told that it had a long "frame mounted" brake pedal and had been detached from the rest of the bike with a gas axe.

Cheers,

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I think you are correct the foot brake pivot was mounted on a series A bracket attached to main RFM centre bolt