5 " Smiths Speedo question

oldbikemanjoe

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all - I am new to this forum, but a 10-yr VOC club member. I have a rapide with a shadow speedometer on which the cable recently broke. the speedometer stayed in place, indicating 70 mph. how do I re-set it back to 0 (10 mph)? Thank you!!

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Typically what happened is that as soon as you turn the input to the speedo the needle will flick back to zero. Turn it by hand with a small flat headed screwdriver or similar device and it should just suddenly go back to zero. We have all had speedo cable breakages over the years and, at least in my experience, it does no harm to the speedo internals.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, as soon as it get an input it will return to zero. Put the end of the broken cable in and give it a turn. John.

oldbikemanjoe

New Forum User
VOC Member
Typically what happened is that as soon as you turn the input to the speedo the needle will flick back to zero. Turn it by hand with a small flat headed screwdriver or similar device and it should just suddenly go back to zero. We have all had speedo cable breakages over the years and, at least in my experience, it does no harm to the speedo internals.
Hello, as soon as it get an input it will return to zero. Put the end of the broken cable in and give it a turn. John.
Thank you!!

Rob H

VOC Member
As it seems, the policing of thread purity has taken a siesta as of late. As this thread refers to speedos that have SMITH or close written on it, I will chance chastisement for my small deviance of the written rule.

While cleaning my garage the other day-----day's, I ran across a piece of Vincent memorabilia that might be something of interest to some on the forum's clientele that had a hand in its birth.

Twenty years ago I was visiting Bob George at his place in Southern Cal. Bob is the builder of the EAZY RIDER STREAMLINER that held the M/C record of 322 mph for 18 years, HD powered. Bob gave me a air speed indictor out of a WW2 fighter for my project, I accepted the speedo with gratitude. It so happens that one of the early outings of the liner a few guys from Vancouver showed up and pitched in as pit crew. Dan Smith, Robert Watson and others were in the group. The aircraft indictor had shook its guts apart on the trek out so Dan had it all fixed in about an hour, the cowboy was dully impressed with that. Later in life during the lease of the liner to Robert, Dan did a number on the ww2 relic. it now is a Smith spelled like his name ,with dates and numbers that have some meaning to some one I'm sure. I feel that it should go to one of the VIBRAC team members , if none of them want it , next would be Dave Campos the rider for the team, next would be any club member that collect such type of memorabilia , last it will be sent to the VOC archives if nobody wants it.

Cheers------ Max

What has this got to do with the question asked in the thread!