5" shadow speedometer

nahma

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all, I recently acquired my father’s (Curt Brayer of Miami Florida) Norvin. He built it around 1960 in Buffalo New York and brought it down to Miami Florida I think around 1964. He rode it as well as his Shadow up to about 1975. The Norvin was drag raced at the long gone Hollywood Speedway in the late 60’s. Sometime in the late 80’s it was pulled out for road racing at the Moroso Motorsport Park in West Palm Beach Florida. When it dropped a valve the bike was disassembled. My fathers health is failing and he never rebuilt the bike. I want to put it back on the street. I have found a 5” tachometer but have had no luck finding a matching 5” speedometer. I would be happy with an original or a replica. Can anyone help? Keith Brayer v12liberty@gmail.com

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
originals some times come up on E bay seem to sell for 1000 to 1500 pounds, but you can get good replicas in the UK perhaps a UK member can give you a lead

nahma

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I just emailed David Wood. Thanks for the help. I want to keep the 5" tach as a tach so I can have both large gages on the bike.

jim burgess

VOC Member
Dosen't the VOC spares company supply these? They did build a Shadow from new parts after all! How about some info and a photo for the Norvin section? Join the club...
Jim Burgess

nahma

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
VOC spares now only offers them on an exchange basis (I don't have a core). I will try and scan my photos to my photobucket this weekend and will post a link. I just got the bike from my Father, just got done with an unpleasant divorce (why I have time to work on the bike now) as soon as I have an address I am planning on joining. My father Curt Brayer has been a member since the 60's and still has his Shadow. Keith

Albervin

VOC Member
A "serious" bike. Looks like it had a "relatively" minor primary chain loss at one stage. I reckon there may be a queue forming to help you with that beast. If it was built in the late 1950s then it would certainly rank as one of the earliest NorVins in North America. Welcome to the forum, it is a good start to the world of Vincents.

nahma

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I joined the VOC on line today for five years!!!!! Changed the title from my father's name to mine and have applied for the Florida tag "NORVIN".