PR: Proprietary Items 499SS

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is there anything special about the 5/16" BSF ss nylocs for bolting the brake drums to hubs? I note that VOC Spares lists them for £3.19 each, which makes my pack of 20 cost £63.84

I found an ebay seller offering to sell me a pack of 20 of same for £10.28 - that is 1/6 the price. Can someone explain that to me?

Paul

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
Possible reasons might be that the Spares Co. items are higher spec. than the eBay items. Instead of being A2 (Type 304), it's possible that the club items are A4 (Type 316) and are polished. There could also be higher spec. call-outs for depth-of-engagement. I don't know if any of this is the case but they are possibilities.

The items do seem expensive. I usually get misc. s/less fasteners for projects from D. Middleton in the UK and find the quality there very good. I believe their fasteners are A2 and all are polished. I noted their 5/16 BSF nylocs were £1.26 each.

Gerry

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Don't forget on-line prices include delivery. If you phone you will get a bulk price with a single delivery charge.
Cheers
Bill

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
You can save even more money if you use ordinary UNF grade 8 bolts to hold the brake drums on, just grind the head flat on one side, so it fits against the hub like the originals. Then get stainless UNF nuts and washers. That's what I did. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of my bike at all!

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Did the same Nigel on the hubs, with my level of myopia never tell the difference, everything looks good! With SS If you want that polished look just grind the id marks off the bolt head's surface, stick each bolt in a drill, forget lathe, smooth off against a file and levels of graded paper - only 5 mins each -shine like chrome. Make all my own bolts out of metric ones, they're already the right shape, turn down and use old W/BSF taps/die to taste (plenty of sets on ebay) and finish off as above. There are so many bolts needed on a Vin that the saving is significant and worth doing where possible and time permitting.
If not, the VOC Spares co sell stuff that is considered quality to my experience, there are several others of course...best jez

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Why have nuts at all on the inside of the spokes which are a pain to get to, I've been helicoiling the hub flange and then screwing in 5/15" BSF Alan screws, less weight & faffing.
bananaman.

clevtrev

VOC Member
You can save even more money if you use ordinary UNF grade 8 bolts to hold the brake drums on, just grind the head flat on one side, so it fits against the hub like the originals. Then get stainless UNF nuts and washers. That's what I did. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of my bike at all!
I hope you measured the diameter of the plain portion, as the originals are working as dowels.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Trev It was quite a few years ago that I did that, so I can't remember, but I think that must be why I remember cutting the ends off the bolts. (and why the ends of the bolts have a spot of rust now) I had to buy bolts with a smooth part before the thread that were to long and then cut them off. It has all stayed together nicely for 15,000 miles now.

vibrac

VOC Member
I still have some of the eccentric round head special bolts somewhere waiting for the day I chase standardo_O