48 Rapide #

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And very early ones (as in two digit engine #'s) can be something different again, like 1998. That's one reason why the works records are kept somewhat confidential. Also the mating #'s have no rhyme nor reason although somewhat sequential, but I have seen engines only a few numbers apart and the mating numbers 30 or 40 different.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
never seen 1998 but a few 1999 and 1991 perhaps Gordon can give some info on this I have a low number bike under 400 and that is 1999. mating numbers I have seen 200 a part this was because the crank cases had to be sent back to no1 factory to be re machined

mercurycrest

VOC Member
And, I have a matching numbered, three digit, Comet with 653 numbers between the frame and engine. PEI even told me He thought he personally built it. The C/C matching number is just a number.. no letters........ so there!!:p On second thought, Robert can probably top this easily with his fleet of A's...... arghh, I'll never acheive fame.:(

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Not seeking any fame but just to add some interest - my original Series B has a frame over 2000 greater than the engine.
Cheers David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
During my term in cycle and engine assembly which was two years the engine numbers were stamped on by hand by the foreman of engine assembly Bob Brown, cycle assembly frames Ted Hampshire they both had hand written note books which they entered the numbers and then from a box of metal ex WD stamps they stamped the engine and frames numbers a few errors would have happen a guy in Australia has a black Shadow that the B on the engine is back wards we are not all perfect or are we.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Engine 514 is in Vancouver, the 4 is upside down!
From memory anyway it is 514 maybe something else BUT the 4 is definitely upside down!

Somer

VOC Member
Initially it was 1999 difference.It then went to 1990 and finally around engine # 1500 ? 1900 difference. First page of the owner's manual shows "commencing with frame 2002 and engine 1/3".

GBewley

VOC Member
My two B Meteors are number only matching numbers. 10 and 16, specifically. I have twins 1900 and 1999 apart.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Initially it was 1999 difference.It then went to 1990 and finally around engine # 1500 ? 1900 difference. First page of the owner's manual shows "commencing with frame 2002 and engine 1/3".

I’ve watched this thread with amazement.
Why on an open forum are so many members eager to tell the stampers of this world all they need to know?

Vince Farrell - VOC Machine Researcher