47 degree cam ring wanted

billirwinnz

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone out there have a spare cam ring for an A twin mag they could sell me? My bike has been running with a 60 degree one!

A_HRD

VOC Member
Bill,
Wow! And it still ran! I guess 1/2 a degree won't really bother you then - but what you actually need is a 47 degree one...
Peter

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Thanks Peter. Where did I see 47.5? It ran surprisingly well. Actually the cam has been ground a bit on one of the lift faces to bring the timing closer. After I had timed the front cylinder I thought that I would check the rear and was surprised to find that it was way more advanced so I pulled the cam ring and put it on a protractor. I guess it had been running with one cylinder about 5 degrees advanced and the other 5 degrees retarded.

I'll take the mag out and set it up on the bench with a disk to check what is happening at the points and will hand grind it to get the right 203.5 and 156.5 separation if I can't source the correct one.

Bill

Dinny

VOC Member
Try Dave Lindsey in the UK as he replaced the cam ring on my Comet BTH. I think he makes them so he maybe able to help.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
A shame the 60 degree cam ring has been modified, I could have used that, a 50 degree one should be close enough, I don't think an A twin will notice 1-1/2 degrees advanced on one and the same retarded on the other. If you know someone in the Brough club and I assume the Morgan 3 wheeler club they will have both clockwise and anti clockwise available.