40 years from now !!!

skunkworks

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
lb32.2.jpg G'day guys I hope you all had a great Christmas, and put some miles on your bikes. The Prince of Darkness saw to it that my trusty steed stayed put in the basement... So im anxiously awaiting the birth of another little ridding partner. This time a little boy. To say im pumped would be an under statement. Anyway I hand built a 32 ford roadster stroller for my little girl for her 1st birthday. I wanted her to be able to look back when shes older and say that was pretty cool (a 32 ford for a 1st car). So I just turned 40 (AND STILL NO VINCENT ) and it got me thinking...what modern bike would stand out in 40 years from now as a bike that is as important as vincents have been. what should I buy for my little ones and bury in the basement only to taken out of there crates out in years to come to be a classic.

Last edited:

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
skunkworks; what modern bike would stand out in 40 years from now as a bike that is as important as vincents have been. what should I buy for my little ones and bury in the basement only to taken out of there crates out in years to come to be a classic.[/QUOTE said:
That's Easy! Buy him one of these.. http://motoczysz.com/
Cheers, John

vibrac

VOC Member
I will tell you one underestimated classic
this Christmas Ruben (Ben's son) had a year old PW50 Yamaha for his first bike (he is 5) I have looked closely at it, and its indistinguishable from the one I bought Ben when he was 5 thats 35 years ago!.
automatic, shaft drive, adjustable throttle
When Ruben moves to a bigger bike it will sell for what we paid for it
still in production - a real classic

Flylow

VOC Member
That is an easy question. What modern bike will stand out and be as important as a Vincent? Other than a Britten - Absolutely nothing!

highbury731

VOC Member
That is an easy question. What modern bike will stand out and be as important as a Vincent? Other than a Britten - Absolutely nothing!

Fully agreed - but I don't rate your chances of finding one very high. And don't expect a full spares backup....

skunkworks

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
''what should I buy for my little ones and bury in the basement only to taken out of there crates out in years to come to be a classic.'' A Britten would be amazing but since they are made of Unobtanium the chances of having 2 of them buried in the basement are about on par with me taking one for the team and getting it on with Aretha Franklin.

Albervin

VOC Member
A lot of the modern "classics" will continue to appreciate. If you define modern as being post 2000 then there are very few bikes I consider worthy of the tern "future classic". Go back a decade and there are the Ducati 916, MV Agusta F4, Suzuki Hyabusa, Honda RC30 and RC45. I think my little 2002 Aprilia RS250 may become a classic as it was the last gasp of the 2 stroke sports bikes, still blindingly quick up to 200Km/h and relatively cheap to buy and maintain.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think KTM is the leader of the present pack its RC390 at the NEC looked a was a great street racer and very well priced

Albervin

VOC Member
Great looking bike. Less power than the RS250. Heavier. Better fuel consumption (probably). I was lucky enough to have a tour of the KTM factory in 2008 during the Austrian rally. Great set up and they are obviously on a winner with their Moto 3 engine. If they can go the distance then it will be a collectable. Now, where do I find a Morbidelli V8 or a Bimota V Due? Both flawed but desirable (to me).