3D Scanner

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes Graham, very impressive but also been available over here for several years. The only new part which I have not seen before is the very compact laser scanner. There are several of this type of thing over here with competing suppliers and manufacturers. I have even got prices for scanning twin engine crankcases and producing the correct files to produce new crankcases machined from solid billet. This way it is fairly trivial to modify the CAD file and then change the final product to incorporate what might be seen as improvements. The machines to produce the temporary item, in Jay Leno's case it is in plastic, are so easily available (but expensive) that they are now even been made on an amateur basis by enthusiasts who modify an ink jet printer and then get it to make the solid model. The reason for this in my case is that over eight years ago I gave Trevor Southwell a new DRAT crankcase which was supposed to be replaced by another with some of my own ideas as to slight modifications which I thought might be of some interest to others. I am still waiting. So much for Clevtrev!