PR: Proprietary Items 32mm info

Bowsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a set of 32mm Mikuni's for sale with manifolds. They came off my Rapide C. Without tank mods the tie bolt is almost impossible to fit.

vibrac

VOC Member
Now it can be told:eek:
when I was using a standard tank on the racer with a big carb we ran for a number of seasons with a tie wrap between the tie bolt ears never had a split (and we saved weight;))

Cyborg

VOC Member
Bill, I see you've got one of those nice push button decompressors like the ones we had in the racer.......... They are very well made, and they worked very well. We're not using them anymore as we are now running twin plugs per cylinder............Cheers........... Greg.

So that sounds as if you were running twin plugs, then went with one to accommodate the decompressor and then switched back to twin plugs. Can you tell me why you switched back (assuming that's the case)?

Wish I had read this thread about knitting needles before I bought all the new decompressor bits for the Comet, although I don't want to give up my second plug. I just wish I had the ignition system Honda uses on their i-DSI engine. They use a system where the spark is switched from simultaneous to sequential, plus they advance/retard the plugs individually

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Now it can be told:eek:
when I was using a standard tank on the racer with a big carb we ran for a number of seasons with a tie wrap between the tie bolt ears never had a split (and we saved weight;))
I don't fit them, I did have a pin hole in my Comet tank, Not sure if it was because no tie bar ?, Covered it with Gorilla Glue. Cheers Bill.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I just wish I had the ignition system Honda uses on their i-DSI engine. They use a system where the spark is switched from simultaneous to sequential, plus they advance/retard the plugs individually

Slightly off topic but what is the advantage of switching from simultaneous to sequential? Does it happen frequently during running or just at startup or idle? If it is an infrequent event could you just do it manually by using an on-off-on switch on your two ignition trigger wires to route them to the appropriate coil triggers? I would guess the system requires a sophisticated ECU and sensors to do anything else.

Edit: Never mind, Just looked it up and I see how it works. Multi spark is probably a less sophisticated way of doing this for two plug heads.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I guess with some added bits, it could set up to run different maps for each plug, but I think the basic programable multi spark ignition is about as far as one can go with that cylinder head etc. The hard part would be controlling the when where and why. It would require a bunch more sensors (atmospheric and engine) along with an ECU and injectors. Trying to figure out the mapping would be impossible without the likes of the R&D Dept. Seeing the camera they use to watch the flame fronts in the combustion chamber would be interesting. I know I can't watch two flame fronts converge using the old Colour Tune. They also made a lot of changes to the combustion chamber and intake port along with some reduction in friction. Different bearing material, and interesting pistons. The skirts were coated with the usual molybdenum coating, but were then shot peened with another fine lubricant which penetrates the surface. Most of this stuff is way above my pay grade and most of my involvement with R&D was limited to testing where the rubber meets the road (some of it at -35 with a howling wind). Interesting times and I learned a lot.