30mm mikuni carbs on vin twin

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Allens set up my 28mm for my Comet but even then I had to change the slide and pilot jet. (see the forum a month or so ago) However it was well worth it never had better response on the cooking Comet-only remaining problem is the air filter can pop off if the jubilee clip is tightened too much-really could do with a groove in the inlet ring to match the rubber

vibrac

VOC Member
Well a year on and the air filter still pops off, now today the carb has popped off the inlet stub it should locate over the annular grove on the stub with the raised ridge on the rubber inlet tube. But irrespective of the tightness of the 'jubilee' clip I can just see a steady rejection of the whole assembly off the inlet pipe I got home by a tie wrap round the oil return A22 and the body of the carb holding it in position I will of course blame the ethanol but in all fairness I think a stiffer union is required I must dig out some O rings and some alloy bar and get turning ... any other experiences of this?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Well a year on and the air filter still pops off, now today the carb has popped off the inlet stub it should locate over the annular grove on the stub with the raised ridge on the rubber inlet tube. But irrespective of the tightness of the 'jubilee' clip I can just see a steady rejection of the whole assembly off the inlet pipe I got home by a tie wrap round the oil return A22 and the body of the carb holding it in position I will of course blame the ethanol but in all fairness I think a stiffer union is required I must dig out some O rings and some alloy bar and get turning ... any other experiences of this?
I use 28 mm Mikuni's. They are secured by by jubilee clips. The rubber I use is just a plain radiator hose of an appropriate bore size. I measured hoses at Halfords or somewhere like that and bought a hose that had enough straight to make two manifold rubbers.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
sounds like typical aftermarket rubbish. Look at it this way- you most likely paid about a fiver for it, the man who made it had a profit , the man who sold it also had a profit out of you, it has been shipped half-way around the world, that leaves precious little for the materials to produce it. So, it figures it was made out of (must not say it on here) so rubbish will do. Roy.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yep 41mm of Bens Racing Blue K100 Radiator Hose works better than all that black moulded squishy stuff, Should get the Cooking Comet to Open day

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yep 41mm of Bens Racing Blue K100 Radiator Hose works better than all that black moulded squishy stuff, Should get the Cooking Comet to Open day
Do I get any Brownie points for the tip?:)

Robert Watson

VOC Member
When cruising Europe in 2010 I had one of my 34mm flatslides fall off. The rubber was well squishy and gummy. managed to turn it around and get another 1000 miles or so from it before Anreas Wagner in Lubeck took me to the local industrial supply store where I purchased a perfectly sized piece of oil hose. Everyone was speculating that it was the ethanol that was causing the issue. No, says I, I think maybe the fact that they are radiator hose and have been in service there for some 20 years and many thousands of miles might be more of a factor!