30 year anniversary of Dave Matson's records

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
30 years ago today, August 15th 1988, Dave Matson raised his existing record in MPS-AF-2000 (modified, partial streamlined frame, altered engine on fuel, 2000cc), now called MPS-F 2000. Back then, you had to first make a qualifying run over the existing record, which Dave did on August 14th, with a speed of 220.399 MPH. The next day, the 15th, he made 2 more runs used to calculate the average speed of 225.643 MPH. Later that same day, Dave took the fairing off, to run in class M-AF-2000, now called M-F, and qualified with a speed of 204.165 MPH. The next day, August 16th, Dave made the 2 runs to average 210.357. At the time, that was the fastest speed recorded by ANY unfaired motorcycle. Dave's 225 MPH record was near the top for any partial streamlined sit-on bike, I think the top record around that time was somewhere around 230 - 240 MPH. For 1988 Speed Week, both of Dave's speeds were faster than any other motorcycle on the salt that year. Both records are still in the SCTA record book, and the 210 MPH record is still the fastest speed with no fairing, and without forced induction (ie, excluding the blown classes, turbo or supercharger), that I see in the SCTA record book.

Congratulations Dave, a remarkable achievement.

Arlene Matson sent me some photos from their archives, and at the So Cal section picnic this past Sunday, the attendees gathered for a photo to salute Dave and his achievements. The photo of the 1986 Speed Week poster that includes a caricature of Dave is mine, and the photo of the record certificate is a picture of a photocopy that hangs in Bill Easter's loft. The picture from the picnic was taken by Sidecar Susie Ellsworth.
DSC02252 pan1 e.jpg

Matson1.JPG
Matson2.JPG
Matson3.JPG
Matson4.JPG
Matson5.JPG
Matson6.JPG
Matson7.JPG
Matson8.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
If ever I need an example of complication I don't think I could get a better example than the different classes of US record breaking motorcycles even that Twit on UK TV Henry Cole managed to find a class nobody had heard of to get a record. What was it?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If ever I need an example of complication I don't think I could get a better example than the different classes of US record breaking motorcycles even that Twit on UK TV Henry Cole managed to find a class nobody had heard of to get a record. What was it?
A bit like a kids party where it is incumbent of the adults to make sure no child goes home without a prize, this is not to diminish Dave Matsons achievements which were admirable.

Flylow

VOC Member
Simple, don't worry about the many different classes, just look at the speeds achieved.

Steve, thanks for posting. Dave Matson set a high mark 30 years on.