3 questions

Tony Cording

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all, I save up my questions for a rainy day.

1st. Lovely to see Jack Lazenby on the front cover of MPH. I am sure it has been recorded before, but what was Jack's role at the factory?

2) Tank covers. I purchased some time ago a Club tank cover, well made, strong like bull! However, there are abrasion marks around the tank and oil cap area where the stitching is at its heaviest. Can anyone suggest (be nice now) a material that I could put under that won't be affected by gas spills, but will also preserve the pristine paintwork on my tank?

3) Anyone out there have a spare T30/1As lying around? This is main oil tank feed banjo with gauze filter attached for a series D? If so, let me know and money will change hands.

Thanks and take care.

Tony C

bmetcalf

VOC Member
#2 Sell your ex-Works Lightning tank cover on EBay
#3 VOCSC and VinParts list this part.

Albervin

VOC Member
Tony, my very ancient tank cover (with a little zip up pocket) is lined with a felt like material. I suggest one of the modern micro fibre materials may be suitable. They are very soft & come in a range of colours.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Tony, my very ancient tank cover (with a little zip up pocket) is lined with a felt like material. I suggest one of the modern micro fibre materials may be suitable. They are very soft & come in a range of colours.

Factory tank covers were lined with horsehair.

Tony Cording

VOC Member
Thanks all, still don't know what Jack Lazenby did at the factory, however, on to the T30/1AS. Bruce Metcalf was right and I was misled by the number shown in MO103. The number in MO103 for the banjo bolt filter assembly on a D is T30/1AS, as above, but in the parts listings for both Vin Parts and VOCS it is shown as T30AS/1. I checked 'search' for my number and it showed no such number no such zone. Thanks Bruce, and also the gent who had one in his parts box that he is sending me.

Toodles.

Tony C.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Jack Lazenby

Dear Tony,
I was at the Bill Hancock's Riders Rally this year where the MPG cover photograph of Jack Lazenby was taken. I was told there that Jack Lazenby was employed in the race shop at Stevenage where he and Stan Duddington worked under the control of Denis Minett. Denis was in charge of the Special Engine Department.

I assume this is correct but there may be people on this list who can correct or add more detail to the above.

Thanks all, still don't know what Jack Lazenby did at the factory ......

Tony C.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
on to the T30/1AS. Bruce Metcalf was right and I was misled by the number shown in MO103. The number in MO103 for the banjo bolt filter assembly on a D is T30/1AS, as above, but in the parts listings for both Vin Parts and VOCS it is shown as T30AS/1. I checked 'search' for my number and it showed no such number no such zone. .

I was just lazy and only typed in T30. Being lazy finally paid off. The MO103 number seems more consistent with the apparent Works practice.

Tony Cording

VOC Member
Is this a repeat rsponse, the computer is having its way with me? Anyway, many thanks for your help in answering my questions, greatly appreciated.

Tony C.

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Hi Tony,
I use a 'non-slip mat' between my tank bag and tank with no abrasion after 4 year's use. The mat material is a rubbery mesh about 60 thou thick and is intended for use in car boots (trunks?) to prevent things sliding about. It could be good for under your tank cover.
Cheers,
Paul.