ET: Engine (Twin) 2BA Countersunk Screws (406)

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is there any trace of gear crunch when changing from neutral to first? If yes it is definitely the clutch
one 2ba countersunk screw wasn,t happy staying where he was all sorted now thanks for all your replies.OSSIE

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 21

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Shriver had that problem on the way to Shadow Lake in 1983 and had to cope with his Steib being on the left side of the bike.

ossie

VOC Member
Vic , They are bad enough to get on and off normal,
I use Allen headed screws,
And now put gaffer tape across the screw heads, As told by Marcus !.
i have tried allen countersunk type but the hex is too small and round off easily went back to slotted version.

oexing

VOC Member
Supposedly these countersunk screws are bolted down to some stop, no ? I would not trust any adhesive tape on heads to last long, in heat and some oily mist possibly. As could be seen you need some saftey means to prevent loose screws from unwinding completely once they are no longer tight. So why not use MILD Loctite like the 221 or 222 , same strength like nylocs, no other types as you´d be challenged to undo them. Common slotted type countersink might be best here unless you find some with Torx - unlikely with that imperial thread.
For other places I was considering countersink screws but with hex head, own production, reasonably flat hex head for decent spanners. But then, no imperial threads for me when I can help it, so Torx my choice.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Vic, These screws are Soo Tiny, They lock down via the outer plate to small metal tubes that are inside the springs,
I got a bag full many years ago, Somebody in West London Section,
I think they are B.A. ?. 9 Of them !,
The photo shows them next to a 5 P / 5 cents coin.
I see you are going Multiplate ?,
I used a home made Multi for Racing, Made the gear change much quicker and safer,
But too heavy for me on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_20210606_143442.jpg
    IMG_20210606_143442.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 22

oexing

VOC Member
These Loctite 221 or 222 are great for the countersunk screws, also great for locking fuel taps in the tank when you want certain orientation, difficult with typical seals. Grub screws will be sealed with same Loctites, no problem to undo. I use them a lot, only rarely normal strength for external screws, well, it depends and you have to think a bit before applying.
Yes, multiplate clutch, but I will try to have low force springs there, ATF in primary and semi-dry clutch, only a few holes into clutch cover for oil mist. I´ll see, takes till next year I guess.

Vic