21 or 22T drive sprocket for twin

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am currently running 21/46T drive rear sprocket and considering going to 22 on the front to give it a bit more legs for cruising.

I have been told that the 22 is a bit difficult in use around town but thought that this would be OK as the increase in gearing is less than 5%. My bike is a shadow but does not have the high intermediate first gear and is fitted with the standard 2.6 ratio

Anyone have any experience of running 22/46, grateful for your thoughts/input

regs

Last edited:

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
I am currently running 21/46T drive rear sprocket and considering going to 22 on the front to give it a bit more legs for cruising.

I have been told that the 22 is a bit difficult in use around town but thought that this would be OK as the increase in gearing is less than 5%. My bike is a shadow but does not have the high intermediate first gear and is fitted with the standard 2.6 ratio

Anyone have any experience of running 22/46, grateful for your thoughts/input

regs

I assume you have standard 998cc engine.

Easier to try H5/45 tooth rear sprocket first, to see how you like higher gearing.[VINPARTS stock].
Reduced unsprung weight,too!
And you can claim your bike is part-Lightning!

Unless you are built like a midget, with no luggage and no passenger, it is likely that you will get poorer performance with higher gearing, with more need for gear changing on upgrades and headwinds.
The standard 21/46 set up is already deliberately set too high, for best fuel economy etc.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Rob, Been there done that, I love to try things so try it yourself, But I think it's the wrong way to go. The standard Vin' is over geared, If you want to do 130 mph on a standard bike you need at least a mile run up and you have to buzz it in third i.e. 110 mph = 6000 rev's. A lot of people go the other way and put a 48 rear sprocket and find it better !! Good Luck Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
I'm with Bill on this one. I think you'll lose more on flexibility low down, than you'll gain at the top end. It may rev slower at cruising speed, but the engine will have to work harder with the higher gear, so you won't gain on economy.

H

Rob H

VOC Member
I mainly use the bike for longer distances and try to cruise between 65/75 indicated but at over 70 the vibration becomes a little uncomfotable for long periods. I was not trying to get a higher top speed but thought that going up a tooth to increase the gearing and reduce revs by 4.7% would move the vibration to above the targeted cruising speed.

The bike engine is pretty much standard shadow spec with the exception of the rapide 1st gear and seems to pull the top gear quite easily so thought the extra tooth would not be such an issue. Having said that I have not had any positive feedback as yet to do so.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Rob, I tried the same with my Comet, A 46 rear but as Howard says, And it didn't feel right for me. But with all things some times with the wind behind you it would feel good, You will have to try it !! Cheers Bill.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Bsa owner has hit the nail on the head for my money! my rap will cruise at any where between 70-95 mph without any undesirable ammounts of vibration. According to "those that know" vins in general do not vibrate. Maybe 40 years of H-D's has de-sensitised me, but my vin is exceptionally smooth. Reckon you have an ongoing defect.

van drenth

VOC Member
What about 48T at rear and 22T at front. At present i run with 48T rear and 21T front and like to change to 1/4 "O" ring chain.
Regards van Drenth JC