2012 Racer

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Through an unfortunate series of events I have been unable to do much of anything Vincent this year except write some articles and chat on the forum. I make changes to the racer every season as part of the normal racing development that goes along with competing. The below photos show the improvements I made at the end of the season in 2011 and the winter of 2012.

While trying to up my record at Maxton during the last meet, I pushed back on the seat hump so I could get low and the seat collapsed. As a result I built a new seat frame and seat for road racing that was longer so I could tuck in better on the straights. I also built a seat for Landspeed racing that was considerably longer and supported by struts from the footrest plates that is not shown. Additionally, I narrowed both seats up near the tank.

When altering the seat I made the number plate on the seat wrap around the exhaust which had been designed late in the season. I also lowered the seat quite a bit and had to make a new exhaust hanger.

I went back to stock handlebars, which improved my lap times considerably.

I made a new front number plate bracket from bar stock. the original tubular bracket cracked a number of times.

0102.jpg

0122.jpg

David

derek

VOC Member
David,
Is that aCommando gearbox? I wonder if you could e-mail me detail of fitting and engine plate patterns. Also interested in the sump guard, or is it just an oil catcher? Derek. e-mail derek@delro.co.uk

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
A C U regulations now require a catch tray big enough to catch the oil tank capacity in case of total "disaster" It's hard to tell but the gearbox outer cover , at least is a manx unit, as it has no kickstart.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
It doesn't look like the Albion on Glyn Baxter's Flash in the Duncan Wherrett book.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
It doesn't look like the Albion on Glyn Baxter's Flash in the Duncan Wherrett book.

You have to look earlier at the Series A supercharged bike or the 1936 Series A TT racer. Phil Vincent had Burman make 6 of these boxes for very special bikes. It was called the "BAR" box and if you look later, in 1949 and 1950 this box is on the prototype Grey Flash ridden by George Brown and also the photo of him on the TT bike in 1950.

I race in "Class C" which is the original AMA class that mandates a 4-speed box among other things. We are allowed to use an OEM box or facsimile thereof. This box was made by Bruce Verdon of TT Industries in NZ. It is a cassette style with flawless shifting and it was, along with the Newby clutch, the best thing on the bike. It is also magnesium.

http://www.ttindustries.com/

I have ridden bikes with more gears and I like the 4-speed. Often you only need two gears at a track except for the straight. It is much easier to learn a track with a four speed. If I were a better rider, I would probably want a six speed

100_2752.jpg

David

b'knighted

VOC Member
Wonderful ambidextrous exhaust. I wish mine would get out of the way when I wanted access to the right of the machine.

davidd

VOC Member
David,
Is that aCommando gearbox? I wonder if you could e-mail me detail of fitting and engine plate patterns. Also interested in the sump guard, or is it just an oil catcher? Derek. e-mail derek@delro.co.uk

Derek,

I do have a racing engine set up with a Norton gearbox. It is fitted with a Newby clutch and belt drive. It also has a longer than standard primary cover and the rear swing arm hole has been relocated. This is not a problem for me as I make my own inner primary plates in addition to the other plates. I use an F106 with the legs cut off. I think this application is so specialized that it may not be of use to you. I would be happy to send photos of them to you.

It is not obvious from looking at the racer, but I have moved the G50 plate to the inside of the F106 leg. I have added another plate to the outside of the F106, but it only goes down far enough to hold the footrest plate, it does not attach to the engine. I did this so I could have more clearence not just for the cornering, but before the catch pan was added I needed room for the exhaust. So far, this has worked well, but it makes the parts like the catch pan specific to a bike using these plates.

The catch pan is now required in most racing organizations and I have to admit it is nice to have a bike that does not leave oil everywhere, particularly in the van. The engine is so lovely, I did not want to attach a baking pan. I made this one to fit the engine as best I could. It is held on by four fasteners: one allen (which is also part of the GB adjustment system) and three quater turn fasteners. I like making many of these components out of glass fiber because they can be made very light and replaced easily if damaged.

100_1631.jpg

David

Goffy998

VOC Member
David
The levers on the front brake plate appear longer than usual. Is this effective? Are they available or did you make them?