2 x 2LS Brakes

Goffy998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I will be fitting Vincent Speets 2 x 2LS front brakes to my twin, & I read in the instructions that there may be an issue with a wheel with a ribbed front tyre locking at low speeds.

I'm reluctant to fit a modern tyre as although the Rapide isn't totally original I think a tyre with modern tread pattern would look 'wrong'.

Has anybody experience of these brakes on a bike fitted with an Avon ribbed front tyre?

Paul Goff

vibrac

VOC Member
Paul, I don't know about look wrong I always 'felt' that a big wheel Vincent steered better with a ribbed tyre as for slow locking with modern grippy rubber from Avon I suppose it might occur, Though I doubt even a 2LS would beat 30ft from 30mph as per original road test (though it is said it was a very grippy surface) at faster speeds obviously 2ls will be better I would suggest a reduction of fingers on the lever is all thats required at slow speed- only one way to find out:eek:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
There's quite a few out there, if such a problem exists I'm pretty sure it would get posted right here. Having talked to several users I have heard nothing negative.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi Paul,
I've used a Spreet Brake on the D anb the B with Speedmasters for years with no problems, brings 400 plus pounds of rider/passenger to a safe stop much better than stock.
Cheers, John

davidd

VOC Member
Paul,

You did not mention which forks, the size of your tires and how many miles you ride a year. I do not have any experience with the brake but I hear it is exceptional. I would think that you can get an Avon ribbed tire, I know that you can get them in the A25 race compound, which is also an exceptional tire, but I do not know if it is street legal.

If you have a 21" front I agree with Tim that it is the best steering.

If you have Girdraulics my own experience indicates that you should pay special attention when making the brakes more effective. As I mentioned in the Comet Suspension thread, the forks seize quite readily during application of the front brake, which in itself lowers the braking force available. The corollary is also true, increasing the effectiveness of the front brake will cause your Girdraulics to seize more effectively. Generally, I believe that the chirping or locking under braking at low speeds is due as much to the suspension seizing as it is to tire and air pressure concerns.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
And if you want to prevent that problem I have a new batch of 102.5 lbs/inch short front springs available, following DaveD's design.

Goffy998

VOC Member
Thanks for those replies. I've fitted a 21" rim and have Bramptons, it sounds like I won't be experiencing any problems. I'll let you know.
Paul G.

vibrac

VOC Member
Now you know I am a great fan of Bramptons however a warning.
Ron Kemp had his Bramptons Bend right down at the end of the tubes as they entered the spindle lugs. after he has done a lot of work to improve his brakes for racing (with AM4) he strengthed them with a cross bar brazed acrosss the two tubes above the lugs.
Remember though that was 45 years ago, and a Comet, Age comes to Bramptons as well as men

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Now you know I am a great fan of Bramptons however a warning.
Ron Kemp had his Bramptons Bend right down at the end of the tubes as they entered the spindle lugs. after he has done a lot of work to improve his brakes for racing (with AM4) he strengthed them with a cross bar brazed acrosss the two tubes above the lugs.
Remember though that was 45 years ago, and a Comet, Age comes to Bramptons as well as men

Tim,
That's a good point. I, too have worried that it may be too much brake for Bramptons. I also have concerns about the backing plate stop pins wedging the stops apart and letting the entire works rotate around the axle. I'm not a fan of Bramptons but after adding a WP Shock/Spring, I have to admit, they're only have as crappy as before.:rolleyes:
Cheers, John

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I was demonstrating my Speet brakes to a fellow Vin owner, at about 60 mph on a dry sunny day grabbed a handful and locked the front wheel. My experience is that it is a 4 leading shoe brake and when cold will grab. At the annual UK rally in 2010 I was right behind John Appleton when he went down in light rainy conditions. He had a big 4 shoe Grimeca (?). In the rain I ride those brakes with a light finger dragging them on and off to keep them dry and warm. Love the brakes but be aware that they can be fierce when cold and damp.