2 x 2LS Brakes

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there Paul, Just be very mindful that if you fit these brakes.....and if they are as good as everyone says they are.....be careful using them if you wheel the bike backward, say rolling down a hill or whatever, as John mentioned in his post.....the fork lugs that anchor the brake plates from turning are very prone to breaking off. If you look at them you will see what I mean....they are not overly strong, and lack the gusset effect that the Girdraulic lugs have. Cheers.........Greg.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
fortunately 2LS brakes hardly work at all rolling backwards! On most of my Bramptoned bikes I have alloy backing plates with threaded in anchors, which I made with bigger shoulders both axially and radially on the boss which helps to support the pin a bit better.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I remember a friendly and amicable discussion taking place at the West London Series D meet a few years ago, our now section leader, and very talented engineer Paul Packman was there with his magnificent Vincent Rapide sporting his own beautifully engineered TLS Front Brakes, also there was another extremely talented and clever engineer and Vincent owner from Basingstoke, Roy Cross, with, if I remember correctly a Series D enclosed Vincent sporting a beautifully engineered, fairly huge twin disc set up. Initially the discussion that ensued was about looks and originality, or should I say as close to looking original as is possible as well as improving the brakes, I think in that objective Paul achieved success, on the other hand Roy had brakes comparable to any modern machine but lost out a little on the originallity stakes, having said that I thought Roy's set up looked really good and in keeping. But then the discussion turned to grabbing and locking up, Roy was of the opinion that due to the self servo action of the TLS that grabbing and locking up was inevitable to the point of being dangerous, Paul disagreed. I have no idea who and what is right or wrong. Twin leading shoe brakes have been around for a very long time, I am not an engineer so I have to guess at things, but my guess is that the strength of the pull off springs is of paramount importance, one of my vans had some work done at a local garage and the rear SLS drum brake shoes were replaced using the incorrect springs, the results of that were quite dramatic, you could be driving along when suddenly, without even touching the brake pedal, there would be loud bang and as the rear wheel or wheels locked up the the van would sqat down, fitted the correct shorter pull off springs and never had onother problem, fitting the wrong springs or having a spring snap on a motorcycle front drum brake I would imagine could be quite scary.

vibrac

VOC Member
Spring snap
with AM4 it was good practice to pass a copper wire down the coil and onto the shoe ears. the squeel on ribbed brake drums could shatter a spring
Never seems to happen on Safeteks AM4 replacement

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When Paul had a crash, Some time ago, I said to him were the brakes Too good, He said without them he would have hit the car. Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
fortunately 2LS brakes hardly work at all rolling backwards! .

This is worth bearing in mind when changing to 2LS. My Egli has 2LS back and front, the trouble is, if you stop on a very steep hill, you have ZeroLS back and front to stop you rolling back - frightening the first time it happens.

H

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Sonny Angel liked to tell this story when the never ending story or should I say stories about Vincent brakes arise when two or more lovers of the beast tell there tales. One of Sonny's best friends, Rebel was his handle Frank Hubbard his name.
The story goes like this, Sonny had returned to the states after spending a year and a little better at the works there in Stevenage. He left broke in 1954 due to the strict foreign labor laws in effect after the BIG one in 1946. Worked his way back on a tramp steamer , taking his Triumph and some 13 to 1 Heps a set of MK2s and a set of lightning pipes and dreams of owning and building a fast Vincent some day, which he did.
Scraping up a few bucks he found a 20/ 40 ft Dinar in National City California for sale cheep and started his SONNY ANGLE MOTORCYCLE BUSINESS. 60 years and more later its still in business and that fast Vincent dream is up on the mezzanine in the show room , the original 2o/ 40 shop is the parts room today .
Sonny found a Vincent B chassis no motor. He had a pre unit Triumph Thunder Bird engine , he put the Bird in the Vin and called it the HRDBIRD. Back to the brake story, the HERDBIRD would go much faster then the brakes would stop, Rebel who owned a Shadow said he could make a standard Vincent brake work, which he did. After the fix on the HERDBIRD , the first time he went to hard brake on the front , the wheel said WOOO and stopped , the brake was a standard one and worked. Rebel told me what he did to fix Vincent brakes, I've used the methods since and have put them down in words in a article I wrote which can be found at thevincent.com under Max's restoration tips

Regards Max

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Max, A lot of us can't get thevin.com because of the snow, Can you tell us on here how to get the brakes to work well, Cheers Bill.