2 start oil pumps

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
puddle jumper hybrid

Hi Paul, I tend to agree with 2 start oil pump. My rapide worries me every time i look at the rate of oil retuning to the tank. To quote the prophet"I reckon i can p-ssQuicker!" Valve stem seals highly recommended on exhaust as well if you run total seal rings[ read the instuctions] they are worth a good few h.p, won hundreds of international races with them! you already have a tidy oil filter in as standard, can't see any advantage in messing there. Oil supply on return line well tested for top end especially with extra capacity of 2 start pump. Be Lucky ,Roy.

dave g6xnc

Non-VOC Member
Oil pumps

many years ago in MPH Phil irving wrote about oil pmps and related about the pump body being set a few degrees from right angles so the drive worm mated with the pump plunger. In the early B', this worm was bronze. he wrote that that a chap in Aus with a brand new twin had the worm strip and wrote to the works about it under warrenty saying it obviously wopuld as the drive angle was at right angles. Irving wrote back enclosing a new worm and pointing out about the angle of the body. I have often wondered what the poor bloke must have thought with a brand new siezed lump and the factory sent a new worm! with a bike the price of a house u/s!.
dave gs.

Alan J

VOC Member
Oil pumps e.t.c.

I have not found that the cams wear out, only that the cam bushes do!! but then I have only done 170,000 miles-- nothing compared to Stuart Jenkinson!! I use 20\50 multigrade oil, which I know is a sin in many peoples eyes--but the proof of the pudding is in the eating!!

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi Guys

How about this for an idea, fit a 2 start pump, valve stem oil seals and feed the rockers from the main side of the pump, not on the return side, giving better flow to the cams which need all the oil they can get, via the rockers, push rods ect. Then fit an oil filter to the return side before the oil reaches the tank.
Feeding the rockers from the pressure side of the pump is Steve Hamel's idea, not mine, sounds good to me,
What are your thoughts guys.

Cheers Paul

Probably a good idea if you plan on running your Vincent at 8,000 RPM too. Otherwise, why bother?
Cheers, John:cool: