1961 Jaguar Factory Tour

Mr. Boring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Most of the blocks I gave attention to were straight in the bores and I didn't notice any sunken liners but a lot lifted when the blocks settled down and some cracked when they really got overheated. During the 80s I remember having to repair the rear mains. It all started with the rope seals starting to leak. After the local Jaguar dealers were trying to repair and noticed the rear mains bearings were wearing the lead to the copper and worse. I was called in to see how things were measuring up. The rear crankshaft journal was darkened and so was the rear main housing of the block. It's hard to measure things when they get very hot because the grow in size on the outside diameter and get smaller on the inside diameter. What we determinded was the rear mains in the block were .002ish" too tight. The rear mains were honed to the proper size and the seizing rear main and rear seal problem went away. The word that came back to us why this happened from the dealer/ rep / factory was that the gentleman that had been doing the line boring for many years had retired and the new replacements didn't know how to lean in to it on the rear main because of the wear in the equipment (machine). Don't know for sure if it was true but it all added up and it sounded okay at the time so there you go. :confused:

Last edited:

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
Still one of the most beautiful automobile engines ever built.

Attachments

• WP_20180324_16_27_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180324_16_27_08_Pro.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 34

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Love the three Carbs, Had them on my Mk10 and my 420G ?, Is that what they called the bigger Mk10 ?,
I forget !. I did a lot of road testing, My Boss said the other Mechanics, Just tested the Radio !.
Good Times. Bill.

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
Love the three Carbs, Had them on my Mk10 and my 420G ?, Is that what they called the bigger Mk10 ?,
I forget !. I did a lot of road testing, My Boss said the other Mechanics, Just tested the Radio !.
Good Times. Bill.

DID THEY COME WITH A RADIO? Gee I never noticed!!! :)