Amanda Water Scooter 1958 Vincent Amanda Water Scooter

Les

Forum User
VOC Member
This?

EDIT: on re-reading your question, I'm guessing you mean the flat piece of fiberglass that bolts to the front of the engine, and spans the gaps between these two blocks of styrofoam? Yes, I do have that. No, I don't have a picture of it with me. I am unfortunately 3,000 miles from home, on a ship at sea and don't expect to make port until the end of August. I will take a photo and post it when I return.
Wish I had seen this before I chose the wrong floorboard grip tape. As for how the floatation blocks are mounted. Yes. Please do post the picture of the flat fiberglass piece bolting to front of engine that I do not have. Thanks....Les.

delagem

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
IMG_2168.JPG
IMG_2170.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Considering the state of fiberglass technology back then and the reported bad workmanship of the sub contract fiberglass people (from wales?) I dont think it looks too bad. I understand the word 'dry' as I guess I was laying up fibreglass housings for generators about 1962 (poor apprentice) and there was lots of talk about heat build up and dont use too much resin and not more than one layer at a time. things, resins and relative costs have improved since then I think

timetraveller

VOC Member
Tim is correct, fibreglass resin chemistry has improved dramatically over the last 60+ years. Some of you will know that I own the Black Knight prototype and used this as my main source of transport for many years, even taking it to South Africa for a year when I worked in Pretoria and also took it on a camping trip to the South of France. There was always a bubble which would form in the heat on top of the front mudguard, approximately where the transfer sits. I tried several time to sort this out and repainted the item and yet, when left in hot sunshine the bubble would always re appear. Many years ago I decided to sort it out once and for all and took all the paint off the mudguard. What a mess. There were multiple layers of paint including one which seemed to be some sort of rubberised underseal, but on top of the guard. When I final got all the paint off you could see the individual strands of glass fibre with large enough voids to see right through the mudguard. It was the roughest piece of fibreglass work I have ever seen. And yet, 65 years after manufacture it is still usable. Good stuff, fibreglass!

vibrac

VOC Member
I built a 356 Porsche replica a Chesil speedster in the noughties I am not a great car man but I love the lines of the car and I thought for a change I would build one. I shan't do it again what a pain all those contortions compared to a bike build.(Biggest mistake was building a convertable as when its sunny I ride a bike!) any way point is its nearly twenty years on and the fibre glass body is still absolutely perfect not a blemish yes technology in fibre glass has moved on
1572512689869.jpeg