1952 Black Shadow for sale

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is not the bike that was raffled off by AMA, this bike has not been seen in public since 1986

I thought this was a Motorcycle Club, not somewhere for people to display their investment portfolio !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a motorcycle FGS - if it's as good as you say, it should be burning tarmac. Sell it and buy some Pork Belly shares or whatever they're called !!!!!!!

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
I agree, the thing about vincents is that, despite their age, they are quite capable of being used on todays roads and (assuming that the bike is in good shape) they are quite fast and fun to ride. So why not ride the damn thing! The bike has been restored so it's not like there is a hope of preserving the original factory patina, paint and parts can be replaced as long as their is enough demand for parts to be made. I for one am thankful that all these parts are available because my shadow really needed a lot of them, and for that i really have thank all the people who ride and restore their bikes and generate a need for parts, and of course the people who actually get them made, kemps, voc spares co et al.
we will see what happens.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Mr. Cord810..I am well aware that yours is not the bike that was raffled off..I sat on that one just a few weeks ago..my point was - and it is a moot point anyhow..how does one quantify the differences between that bike and yours?..and then arrive at a dollar value greater than what the raffled bike sold for?
This is a philosophical question, nothing more.

cord810

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Shadow on Ebay

Mr. Cord810..I am well aware that yours is not the bike that was raffled off..I sat on that one just a few weeks ago..my point was - and it is a moot point anyhow..how does one quantify the differences between that bike and yours?..and then arrive at a dollar value greater than what the raffled bike sold for?
This is a philosophical question, nothing more.

The only basis I had for valuation was that in Noember of last year a Shadow described almost EXACTLY like mine sold for 85k I was not aware of any other sales. All I wish to do is sell the bike onto someone else to enjoy, at fair market value.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hey, I'm an "FDR baby" and my aunt's huband's brother.... I always heard him referd to as "Uncle Harry" was a very rich man who formed HAL Oil Company in Utah... He did well until he crossed swords with Standard Oil. He was killed in a traffic accident in 1950. Anyway, long story short.. Uncle Harry had Cords and when I was about 12, his Daughter, Joy Larsen, gave me a test drive in her inherited 1937 Cord (yeah, I got to drive it.. a 12 year old could get a license to drive farm equiptment in Utah, so I was pretty adept at what to do)! So here I am over 50 years later, times are tough and thinking... Hmmm, Would I sell the Vinny or the Cord? NO CONTEST!! Goodby, Vinny! Hell, I'm looking at 2005 Bentleys and trying to figure which of my Vincents to unload to buy one, but my petrified brain is saying:" How do you plan on keeping it on the road at 190+ miles per hour you senile old fart... Keep your slow Lincoln stupid!!"
I hope he sells his Vincent for $200,000, that means that Bentley is even cheaper to me.. and to hell with my brain!:D

Howard

VOC Member
The only basis I had for valuation was that in Noember of last year a Shadow described almost EXACTLY like mine sold for 85k I was not aware of any other sales. All I wish to do is sell the bike onto someone else to enjoy, at fair market value.

At 85/100 k this is not going to go to a motorcyclist "to enjoy", just another invester!!

It's the riders of Vincents who've kept the reputation and myths alive so that your investment is valuable, and in return you price your example of the marque out of reach of them.

Had you ridden it, or even trailered it to rallies I may be more understanding.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Those myths and legends are partially responsible for increasing the mystique and desirability of the Vincent. Don't forget that this machine was the fastest most notable bike of it's time and created a significant place in history for itself. Consequently they will continue to appreciate ever higher in value and many will be priced out of the market , a fact of life.
This applies to many other marques and models , bikes and cars.
I'm priced out of the Bugatti market but I'm not bitter towards those that have the means even if they want to sit and look rather than use.
Actually it makes me proud that the object of our desires warrants such attention and appreciation.

Albervin

VOC Member
Whoa! Are we talking $100K or £100K ?? There are plenty of Shadows selling for near $100K & this may be worth that BUT £100K I think not. :rolleyes:

Bracker1

VOC Member
Itis tough to place value when the present market has such extreme high's and lows. I think the well restored machines deserve their high numbers. Let the buyer decide if it's too much. Personally, I would like a well running rider for the road, and a pretty one for the living room. The best of both worlds. It would be nice if the bike runs as good as it looks. I had a chance to hear the Vincati, thanks to Sid Biberman, and it truly was/is a work of art. That bike is priceless. Cheers, Dan