1952-53 Vincent Black Shadow Parts (Should I buy?)

popsdowner

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello All,
I'm very new to Vincent motorcycles but find them fascinating.
I was approached to purchase a large lot, (could easily fit in a full size pickup), of new original 1952-53 Vincent Black Shadow parts. There are at least two original molds for making gears and such as well. He wants $20k for the lot. I know these parts got to be worth quite a bit of money but it may take a while to re-coup my investment. I have several pictures below of the parts sent to me. Does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance. Kevin

IMG_20130719_075811_936.jpgIMG_20130719_075629_244.jpgIMG_20130719_080016_587.jpgIMG_20130719_080041_154.jpg

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you are really interested, find one of the California Vincent guys and take him with you to look at this stuff. I do not intend dampen your enthusiasm, but I do not see anything special in the photos. I do not see anything that is specifically Black Shadow. All of the items I see are easily available, worthless or not original. Maybe the other items are the important stuff like frame members, fork blades, engine cases, transmission, case covers, gas tank, heads, speedometer, cylinders, etc. I would be cautious.

David

popsdowner

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks very much David. I have other pictures coming of the items as a lot. So you see items that are aftermarket non-original? Is OEM important on the small stuff? The short of the story is the items were purchased in 1955 when the factory close there doors. His Grandma helped out a guy that spent 50k buying stuff and trying to set up. He failed for one reason or another and this is what is left. Stored in Grandma's garage. He seems open and doesn't seem the type to pull one over on me but he may be misled on the facts himself. I'll post more pictures as I get them. Thanks again David. You're very kind to reply. Kevin

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The short of the story is the items were purchased in 1955 when the factory close there doors. His Grandma helped out a guy that spent 50k buying stuff and trying to set up. He failed for one reason or another and this is what is left. Stored in Grandma's garage. He seems open and doesn't seem the type to pull one over on me but he may be misled on the facts himself. I'll post more pictures as I get them.

I'm with David. Be very cautious, picture #4 has a Lucas coil that didn't exist in 1955... I see some other discrepancies too.
Cheers, John

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Also bear in mind that stuff that was "left" even original stuff, might have been unfit or discarded. It happens in all factories. As the other members say, take an expert and proceed with great caution. I'd volunteer -but you couldn't afford the air tickets! Cheers.

popsdowner

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you all very much for your responses. The more I hear from the seller and you the more I see the items are oversold and not necessarily what is stated. He said the "Vincent Gallery offered him $50k but the deal went cold" Hmm.
Well, you are very kind people and I appreciate your help. Kevin

vibrac

VOC Member
Lots of those parts are just chains sprockets from accessory suppliers later items and chocolate fireguards like the alloy idler a lot of good spares but not much vincent -more pictures would help

Albervin

VOC Member
I see 2 tail lights. If they have the magic mark of E30 on them then that is $2K. If Harris gallery pulled out then they probably realised there was no profit in it. There were a lot of parts manufactured from the early 60s to very recently that were not worth the freight costs, complete junk.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
This stuff is over priced ,it is abviously new old stock, but seems to all small spares the carbs if original are $500 a pop
Haggle downwards very strongly if you have an overwhelming desire to start an Ebay shop, look at the prices on the American dealers web site and try to calculate how to make a profit on your purchase price.