The Mighty Garage 1951 Vincent Rapide - Part 77 - Powder Coating Test

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That oven looks like it is in a kitchen? If so, its not a good idea to cook food in an oven that has been used for power coating. Anyone thinking of getting a kit, should really factor in an oven and some sort of small booth to control the mess.... and wear a mask.

Mike T

VOC Member
That oven looks like it is in a kitchen? If so, its not a good idea to cook food in an oven that has been used for power coating. Anyone thinking of getting a kit, should really factor in an oven and some sort of small booth to control the mess.... and wear a mask.
Thank you. I totally agree. Fortunately for my friend Geoff, his new place had a couple of ovens in the workshop along with a great beer fridge!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
That home brew PC looks lovely Mike.
Did you try marking it with a screwdriver or similar in an out of view place to check hardness?
I'm a big fan of powder coat as it's generally so durable, almost like plating.

Glen

Mike T

VOC Member
That home brew PC looks lovely Mike.
Did you try marking it with a screwdriver or similar in an out of view place to check hardness?
I'm a big fan of powder coat as it's generally so durable, almost like plating.

Glen
Thank you Glen. Yes, I didn't show that, but it was a very hard finish afterwards. We were conscious that there isn't much of a gap between the outer and inner shrouds and so Geoff tried to only apply a thin coat. I think that helped with the durability. He told me that some of his earlier test pieces came out with a much thicker finish and that it takes a little practice to get the right level of coating. Hope all is well. Best wishes, Mike