1951 Rapide basket F10AB/1/6445

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wouldn't pay 10 k for it, on close inspection......everything is in very poor condition, and going to take a lot of work to bring back to something descent. Even if it goes for 25k, it will cost double that to rebuild it........Am i wrong......I don't think so.......Greg.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I tend to agree. A lot of tears and heartache, let alone the butchered fork blades. As they say in this country-" He's dreaming!"

vibrac

VOC Member
Your not wrong Greg 35K completed -25K parts =10K buy
hours spent ignored
for comparison an all brand new engine 'only' costs around £18K
plus there are no more new blades at the moment
he certainly is dreaming

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
My Shadow wasn't in much better shape than that when my father bought it for $500.00 back in 1978. A guy in Ann Arbor was using it as an open class ice racer. I agree whole heartedly with Greg and Chankly Bore. $5000.00 tops in my opinion.
As we say here, "He's a crack addict". But P.T. Barnum did say "There's one born every minute. I'm going to watch it just to see.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
well the old thread "latest chuckle from ebay" has run for a year and has 276 entries and in there it seems that there is no shortage of fools with money, they are indeed born every minute.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I'm not sure I'd call buyers of this kind of project fools. Perhaps someone who wants a Vincent but can't stump up £35,000+ sees this as the only option to buy into their dream. It may be a more expensive way to do things in the long run, but if you've 'only' got twenty grand and you really, really want a Rapide it's the only way you're going to get one. If they get real pleasure from owning and then restoring it I'd say good luck to them because in that case, as far as they are concerned it's been good value.

nkt267

VOC Member
No sign of any cylider heads either,more£££££££££££££££££s or $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s..John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Who knows, In a few years it might have been a good buy !! Had a phone call the other day, A chap says I should sell him my bike now, While there was still people with enough money to pay the going rate ?? I remember when I was young, Rebuilding my first Twin, It took me about 3 1/2 years, To still have a ride I bought other makes, Kept breaking them and had to rebuild them !! But the Dream came in the end, And has gone on for many years. Cheers Bill.