• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

1951 Comet - No Reserve

vin998

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The advert description needs some work. The quoted frame number in the advert looks nothing like the actual frame number shown in one of the photos.

peter holmes

VOC Member
Although I cannot see any evidence of it I would assume that one of the levers is for a manual advance and retard.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes it is, you can see the a/R cable tracking forward and up the fork spring leg. should be long enough or might retard on tigh LH turns :rolleyes:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
The advert description needs some work. The quoted frame number in the advert looks nothing like the actual frame number shown in one of the photos.
Vin998,
I looked at the vehicle registration document in the photo and did the math, the engine and frame are 1900 different and thought, "that's good". Then I saw your comment and looked at the photos closer. If I were to bid on it, I would want to see the Kansas title. Googling an image for a Kansas title, it is exactly like a Michigan title, which quote a vehicle identification number, which is the frame number only. I would want those to match. He doesn't have a valid Kansas plate of any description on it. The vehicle registration document in the photo is a U.K. one not a Kansas title. Which leads me to question whether he has a title at all. Looking at the Kansas DMV website, if the vehicle doesn't have a Kansas title to begin with it must have a VIN verification done. I suspect he bought it with out verifying the U.K. registration documents and the UFM number match. Before I bought and imported my Comet from a dealer in Cornwall, I asked for a photo of the UFM and the registration document, which he supplied. When I registered mine I had to have the local police come out and verify that the numbers on the UFM and the import and export documents and on the title application all matched. Only then would they let me apply for a title in my name. Further down the seller says he has only just noticed that the UFM and V5 don't match and when he registered the inspector used the engine number.
The seller also says the RFM doesn't have a number either. I would still want to see the title and have a bill of sale with both engine and frame numbers on it. I'd be wary.
Steven

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Also even though there is a UK registration document with the bike and the bike shows that registration on its rear plate there would be a problem if the bike ever returned to UK. This bike could not use the UK registration because the actual UFM frame number on the bike doesn't agree with the UK document.
In the UK the frame number is the main identifing number against the registration. Engine numbers can be changed on a V5 document but frame numbers cannot.

As for USA paperwork, titles etc I don't know how that works but I believe its different depending on the state.

Simon
Machine Registrar - Vincent HRD Owners Club.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Up until 1981 it varied from state to state, whether vehicles had titles and registrations or just registration slips. What number used also varied from state to state and whether engine numbers were involved or not. Starting with the 1981 model year vehicles had a specific 17 alpha-numeric code that identifies the manufacturer, country of origin of the drive train, year of manufacture, etc... That resulted in a bit more standardization and confusion when computers came into play here in the mid 90s. The state started sending out letters informing people that their VINs weren't correct and they needed to supply the state with the correct VINs. Turns out the people who wrote the software for registering vehicles didn't realize there was a difference in pre and post 1981 VINs and the program started to flag pre 1981 vehicles as having bogus VINs. I and my father got several of them a year for a couple of years.
Steven

Latest Forum Threads