Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
. . . . only if you believe in the religion that oil trickling down along the pushrods actually reaches the hole in the follower to lubricate the cams. I say any oil from rocker bearings will run down pushrod shrouds and gets flung off any fast moving components before getting a chance to reach the outer end of the follower. Plus the hole in that place wrecks any oil wedge on the follower face where highest load is. My logic is to shut weld the hole and maximise oil supply into the camshaft out both holes right at the start of the lobes.
What oil holes at high load places do you can see below, a follower of a SR / XT 500, hardchromed and "pressure" oil feed from the bearing bolt hole drilled out to the chromed contact pad - useless .

Vic

P1080736.JPG

P1080751.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
I think Bananamans cams wetted by his auxiliary Honda oil pump are probably the only properly oiled cams in the Vincent world. However joggle wires are like my Teddy boy Jacket a bit out of the fifties.
Personally I have never used them but then as is well known for those hi pressure spots in my race cams I rely on ' R'

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Does anyone need to be shown how to do it ? I have about 15 p.s.i (or 1 Bar) feeding into the cam spindles and it squirts oil under the follower prior to it riding the cam and they have done over 300 k miles. Just PM me or < marcusbowden@mac.com. >

craig

VOC Member
What about restrictor disks under ET183 seal rubbers?
Should they be used?
Cover1.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What about restrictor disks under ET183 seal rubbers?
Should they be used?
View attachment 44895
The restrictor discs should only be used on the cylinder barrel oil feeds and some owners even blank them off totally. The oil feed to the cam spindles should have no restrictor disc under the appropriate ET183 seal so on a twin only two restrictor discs are used (one on a single).

craig

VOC Member
The front exhaust pipe must be fitted first, then the rear pipe inserted and started second.
Just the opposite of usual exhaust install.

20210918_fittedexused1-jpg.44881

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I like and have always used, Joggle wires, BUT ,
I think the new modified rocker feed bolts have a smaller hole than we had before,
So maybe it would block the hole TOO much ?.
Cheers Bill.