Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It appears to me the only ability to adjust the gap on an Alton install,
shown above as 0.090", would be the ability to move the pre installed shaft hub.
This Alton shaft hub does not appear to be movable.
So the "gap" is fixed gap for each Vincent twin install.

20210421_AltonHubAdjust.jpg

So this 0.090" gap must be pretty standard fare for Vincent twin.

20210421_altonfitup1-jpg.41710

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I put a cork ring in that space.
The cork has a small half depth dado groove cut across one face for venting. The cork was placed with the groove at top.
Works ok, no oil leak.

Glen

craig

VOC Member
I am still actively trying to fit a rear lift handle to this project Shadow.
What dimensions would fit this lift FT22AS handle ?

A is the inside dimension between the tabs and would be the same as the width of the rear fender hinge.

B is tab 1/4 hole closest to handle down to the mount 3/8 hole, center to center.

MO37LiftHandle.jpg

Last edited:

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
I am still actively trying to fit a rear lift handle to this project Shadow.
What dimensions would fit this lift FT22AS handle ?

A is the inside dimension between the tabs and would be the same as the width of the rear fender hinge.

B is tab 1/4 hole closest to handle down to the mount 3/8 hole, center to center.

View attachment 41785
Craig the hinge I have here is 5 3/4 the distance between tabs is basically the same allowing for them to pull in slightly when fitted The measurement B I have is 14 7/8. I believe these parts are original

Attachments

• B9FA4641-BEF0-43B1-8314-C794D4175B88.jpeg
    B9FA4641-BEF0-43B1-8314-C794D4175B88.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 14

craig

VOC Member
I made progress today mounting the lift handle, rear mud guard, wiring thru lift handle.
Lift handle was fighting me, I had to remount the rear alloy mud guard section.
The remount consisted of enlarging the five holes on the rear section fender sheet metal to enable shifting to the left a small amount.

20210501_RFMProgress1.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I received a BSA sprocket locking washer for use on this 21T sprocket. I forget where i read this lock washer was suitable , but i am looking at it now. It appears you need to knock the locking tines flat so they grab the needed G4 splines for locking a Vincent sprocket.
Is this BSA lock washer mod common knowledge?

20210502_SprocketLock2.jpg

craig

VOC Member
KTB - The nut often loosens because the sprocket tends to rock on its splines and it is best locked by means of a BSA tab washer fitting into the splines. Part number 24-4263.

So I ordered one.
no mention of tab knocking

greg brillus

VOC Member
If there is any play in the sprocket/shaft no tab washer will stop it coming undone.........Not normally an issue on the twins....... I don't use any tab washer there, just do the nut up very tight, with a smear of three bond behind the seal cup. Wipe off the excess, then punch lock in one spot only on the nut near one spline........i don't hit it too hard.......the output shaft bearing can shift in the case if you get carried away.