Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In a brazen attempt to scratch more paint, I assembled the RFM for a trial fit.
I thought adding the Koni to crush the plastic battery box was a nice touch.

20210417_RFMTrial1.jpg

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
The Cam on the left could be a 105 (I have some 105 Cams in the workshop and will have a look when I get a chance). You could email the photo to Steve at M&S and ask the question? The Cam on the right looks like a MK1. I was told that a MK3 Cam was like a MK1 but with a slightly rounded back (know as a quietening ramp). Looking at your build photos I see that you have not put any goo over the heads of the crankcase studs in the primary side and note that you have not put a wine cork or a plug in the KS tunnel, both good advice given to me by my old man. As for using a Simmons nut (part no 98) on the Spindles this is a must use to get a good seal with the ET183, if using the right spec nut you will not have any problems with Spindles turning unless the Spindle fit is shot in the first place.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I would have expected that one of the two Phil's would have spec'd specially manufactured nuts to mate with the cam spindles instead of relying on off the shelf items, which is apparently is a bit haphazard.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Looking at your build photos I see that you have not put any goo over the heads of the crankcase studs in the primary side and note that you have not put a wine cork or a plug in the KS tunnel, both good advice given to me by my old man.
Thanks Russell, I am consuming wine at a glorious rate to find the correct OD cork for this KS tunnel.
I am keeping a digital caliper at every meal.
Cheers
Craig

craig

VOC Member
I have found that a wine cork can be hand ground on a bench grinder to a smooth finish to the correct dimension, well may not that smooth but workable.

Should sealant be used? it seems the oil would swell it tighter. Simply drive it in .

20210418_WineCork1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
After grinding the resized wine cork, which doesn't take any effort at, the cork is easily examined for condition. I touched this wine cork up with files as needed to suit me. The cork looked super clean, I was very pleased. drove this 2" wine cork into the shaft hole with a plastic hammer.

I spent additional time removing the RFM to allow shimming the RFM axle to full plate to plate width. My first RFM install did not seem tight enough. Needed to add .030" on both sides.

craig

VOC Member
Fitting a 12v Alton dynamo. With everything mounted and spaced, there is a 0.090" gap between the Alton casing and the back of the primary., as shown
Require sealing, or a gasket or?
Thanks
Craig

Plastic sprocket supplied with Alton, also standard slinger ring behind this white plastic sprocket.

20210421_AltonFitUp1.jpg
20210421_AltonKitwithSlinger.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Craig, The crankcase and primary area vents out this gap between the slinger and the ET 164 Hat shield pressed into the generator opening.........A lot of folk like to seal this off with a gasket/O ring arrangement or the usual half a tube of sealant.........The gap should be as close as possible without the slinger actually touching the ET 164, But also the generator sprocket needs to be set centrally on the chainwheel sprocket. There should be some clearance for and aft, and up and down of the sprocket teeth verses the chain rollers, this because the chainwheel moves around quite a bit......When the sprocket is set up wrong, and the chainwheel bushes are worn, this tends to destroy the white plastic generator drive sprocket quite quickly.........The teeth on it are actually wider than the stock steel one so this makes the set up that bit more important.........Sometimes you even have to shim the lower generator cradle up higher on top of the crankcase to get the sprocket set up correct, done this a few times. The trick to oil leaks coming from this area is to check the primary oil level on occasion and drain a little off.......If the level is say a 1/2" higher than the level screw on the primary cover, then it generally will start to loose oil at this opening.