Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bill,
you are quite right with nylocs - basically. But I don´t have them in my engines at this place, had to have all special spindles - Argentina B-Raps - so went for tiny o-rings in recesses at spindle ends instead. I can easily measure up all depths for recesses and countersinks in the timing cover so I can tell if that is allright for o-rings. My guess, nylocs can come in variations of sizes where the rubber seals have to go, so a no for me.
Incidentally I had to do extensions on most spindles when I finished them - had them case hardened 30 years ago and only a few years ago found out that I had them too short . I did not see that the steady plate goes on spacers and not bolted on those cast pillars directly. Well - another hour or two for trick extensions to rectify this. For bolting up the extensions I had no space for hex heads , too close to the cam gears. So an new experience with milling - ah, what´s a hexagon with twelve corners - a twelveagon ?
Today I looked at this photo and found no detail on cam spindle ends about seals there so seems I missed something in this stage.

Vic

P1070815.JPG

craig

VOC Member
I have had a pair of new cams in inventory for quite a while. I was planning on using them, but the exhaust lobe on both cams runs into the valve lifter.
MO13Cams2.jpg

I have a pair of used Mk1 cams with a much smaller lobe style and they clear , no problem, but they show wear and I desire new cams.

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Craig, my cams are Andrews Mk 2 so you could grind a bit off the lifter levers where they foul the cam. Better to bin that roller and have that spot hard welded to your liking. Rollers were notorious to fall out and wreck the timing side !

Vic

P1070795.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes Vic , The nylocs for the Cam and Follower spindles are a lot thinner than normal.
And they are sooo tight on the threads, if you do not ease them with a tap or,
I wind them on an old shaft a bit, They will shift the spindles, Not good.

craig

VOC Member
Cam compare.
I am only wanting to pursue available parts with no hard facing or special machine work.
I did look for new cams and VOC spares offers quite a few.

20210417_CamCompare2.jpg

20210417_CamCompare1.jpg

This new cam on the left in both photos appears to have a scrawled etch, (not shown)
on the back base area, with "M & SONS 64"

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Could be Maughams and Sons ? As to lifter levers I would not have the courage to run them with loose rollers. So all you need is a bench grinder and somebody to TIG weld decently hard material in the suitable place. You can grind this to your liking at the bench grinder too, no need for extra pecision for valve lifters.

Vic

craig

VOC Member
Someone please refresh my memory -
What cams did a February 1951 Black Shadow leave the factory with?

Where is the book or reference to document this fact?

VOCCams1.jpg

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Same as Rapides I think. But your cam in second photo got a very different lobe shape from what I know. I would not think this goes with flat followers ? But then, maybe the mild MK 1 ? My Andrews M 2 got a distinctive beak on the lobe to go with flat followers, so - - - - ?

Vic

P1040586.JPG

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
High lift cams will probably induce more issues. I am setting them aside.
My in hand used cams looking very nice, more like new by the minute.

Where is a web reference, in photos, to identify Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 profiles please?
I would like to identify these used cams.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I do not think that you will be able to tell the difference between a Mk I and a Mk III from photographs. The Mk II had a rounder nose and you can probably see the difference if you have photos of a known Mk I and a known MK II. Otherwise, trying to tell the difference from photographs will be more or less impossible. The way the check is to measure the lift of the valves against engine rotation and plot a graph of that. You are clearly a patient man and you will need to be. Mk I cams were fitted to Rapides, Shadows and Comets originally although Shadows might have been fitted with selected cams to give more accurate timing.