Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
New face on ammeter refreshes the appearance. The vintage Miller ammeter scale screws looked very nice on this ammeter.

20210314_NewFaceOldAm1.jpg

Needle zero is a little off, but fine for my use.

craig

VOC Member
Finished with the Black Shadow harness for now. I am leaving the tails unfinished for now (batt+, ground-, tail, dynamo) past experience finds custom fit best.

Decided to use Lucas bullets for speedo light set, might revise later.
Miller dip switch pad was cut from a Norton battery pad (Andover).
Dip switch cable supplied by Chris Launders.

20210312_Harness22.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Worked up Exide battery case revision to appear as a period (1946-1955) Exide 3-EK5AL rather than an Exide 3-ER7L from 1956-1958.

I have always been disappointed that the earlier Exide battery case is not produced now that digital printing is wide spread.

20210221_ExideCaseRevision2.jpg

1/4 x 1/2 brass strap eBay, cut to fit top slots, drilled tapped 1/4- 20
1/4-20 x 1" brass bolts eBay
1/4-20 brass inserts eBay
10mm black nylon nuts eBay (17mmAF)
JBWeld local store

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Received my new Erik Schellhaas modified Vincent Speet brake levers today. This will allow the balance beam to be active and may allow for a series D brake switch.

Cable fab is under way, not something I do every year for sure.

20210316_SchellhaasBrakes1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Left VOC front brake cable HB9AS under modification at this time.
Shorten the lower cable sheath, fit new ferrule, cut inner cable, flare steel inner, prep for solder joint, then?
solder iron?, propane torch?, mini propane torch? I have forgotten.

20210316_SchellhaasBrakesCableLeft1.jpg

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Left VOC front brake cable HB9AS under modification at this time.
Shorten the lower cable sheath, fit new ferrule, cut inner cable, flare steel inner, prep for solder joint, then?
solder iron?, propane torch?, mini propane torch? I have forgotten.

View attachment 41111
Get yourself a Solder pot , not expensive and makes a massive difference to the look and strength of the finished cables. Here is an example of one. Then use solder with some Silver content - it is much stronger.

craig

VOC Member
Hi Gary, I followed what he did with this mod to Speet brakes (VSM) on the thread "New Project" and then sent a him a PM. He said yes he could supply/fabricate. I sent my VSM levers USPS priority small box and the fabrication thru his local custom shop took about a month. I am impressed, but have not figured out how the cables are constructed. The fabricator was able to take paypal, so easy for me.

Last edited: