Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My twin crankcase halves will just fit our oven, one at a time. One of the halves fell over. The dents in the oven bottom are still there! The oven is now a "No Go" area for any motorcycle parts and I suspect that a hidden security camera may have been fitted in the kitchen. Might have to get my own oven. ;)
First Covid shot done, next one in a few weeks.:cool:
For kudos, buy your better half a brand new oven - then install the old one in your workshop!

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Went riding Nortons today, warm enough to not need too many layers, sunshine all day.

Made some minor progress laying out plans for harness into head lamp.
I am lucky to have a rather original sealed beam Miller to follow.
I am using a new reproduction 4 position switch.

20210303_SealedBeamResto1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Picked up powder coat pieces today. Wow , way nicer than OEM.

20210304_PowderCoatPieces1.jpg

In keeping with the tradition of over restoration, this stuff is beautiful.

craig

VOC Member
I was able to assemble the rear wheel with new powder coated brake plates. Greased the new wheel bearing, set final clearance.

20210304_RearWheelAssm1.jpg

I did not have the external or internal mount studs on the brake plates powder coated. I will hand brush some black on the external studs after final fitting to the Shadow.

Powder coater I used was Hi-Tech powder coat , Boonsboro MD. They have been my hi quality coater since 2006. To achieve my needed results all pieces are prepped by me, bead blasted, 320 sanded out, metal prepped....ready to bake and coat.

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I recall you asked about balance weights in the past. Are those pictured originals, or did you have some made?

craig

VOC Member
I was looking , but it must have been several years ago as i don't recall exactly. Coulda been last month as I don't recall exactly. I think it was either eBay, VOC spares, Coventry spares................but it may have been a man in UK, jeez i dont recall

20210304_WheelWeights1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Assembled the sealed beam Miller and trial fitted to the headlamp stays.
No ammeter yet, I filed the repro ammeter face plates in a safe place, years ago, and now cant find them. I will order new if no find tonight.

20210307_SealbeamTrial1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I was able to finish the new face installed into a period Miller ammeter.
Connected all wiring as shown.

20210312_MillerSealedBeam1W.jpg

There is no parking light, so terminal 5 on the switch is unused, screw removed.
When rotated to last position (L) the headlight goes off leaving instruments and tail.

Last edited: