Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Parts back from my painter today just now.

20210301_TukiToday2.jpg

my painter is Tuki - http://kolorbytuki.com/

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
What is the factory solution (or a good solution) to plugging the RFM holes in the tubing behind the chain guard?

My chain guard seems to be right up against the outside of this, but i am seeking closure on both sides.

20210302_SealRFMHoles2.jpg

craig

VOC Member
So now i go to fit the rear lifting handle and find the tabs are off by a considerable amount, both in reference to level and also in reference to each other.
Do i blast the finish off, cut off one tab, make up a jig to align to each other , reweld and refinish?
Egg out the holes to achieve best level and reference?

A little frustrated right now.

20210302_LiftingHandle2.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Geez......just wait till you fit the fuel tank to the UFM and see how out of whack they can be. You could either cut one lug and reposition it, or twist the left one up slightly and the right one down slightly.........these lugs will ultimately dictate the alignment of your rear guard assembly.........the rear guard, lifting handle, rear number plate and the rear stand are difficult at best to install with good results........you often have to elongate some of the guard bolt holes to allow some adjustment........every time you do one, something is different.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I don't know if the camera was square with the RFM but if it was, the lift handle is skewed to the right and if that is so, some tweaking to the left might at least partially correct this. What should be a rectangle looks like more of a parallelogram.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Craig - Given the minor differences between each machine built it's probably best to do a complete dummy assembly of your bike before final painting and plating,. Otherwise you'll end up with a lot of beautiful parts that don't assemble correctly.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Craig - Given the minor differences between each machine built it's probably best to do a complete dummy assembly of your bike before final painting and plating,. Otherwise you'll end up with a lot of beautiful parts that don't assemble correctly.
Reminds me of the touring fenders that get all of the dents pounded out of them before painting? Then discovering that the factory thrashed them with a pipe for good reason. Thankfully someone else warned me about that one.

craig

VOC Member
The lifting handle is on center, the photo is cell phone not research, Anyone can hold this piece in their hand and determine it is not manufactured correctly, the supplier did not mean to supply a piece of this quality. this piece did not come from the VOC spares, i dont have time to stop and repair this piece, so i am hoping the supplier will replace it with a quality checked piece.

I am frustrated over cleaning this damn UFM. as well as not getting permission to use the house oven for heating the cases.

But I did get my second Covid shot, Yippee.

Back to the wire harness!

Cheers
Craig

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
>> ........
I am frustrated over cleaning this damn UFM. as well as not getting permission to use the house oven for heating the cases.
But I did get my second Covid shot, Yippee.
Back to the wire harness!
Cheers
Craig
My twin crankcase halves will just fit our oven, one at a time. One of the halves fell over. The dents in the oven bottom are still there! The oven is now a "No Go" area for any motorcycle parts and I suspect that a hidden security camera may have been fitted in the kitchen. Might have to get my own oven. ;)
First Covid shot done, next one in a few weeks.:cool: