Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I’m told Rhode Island Wiring Service was given a NOS Miller loom to use as a pattern for making new sets. They list the dimmer part separately.

www.riwire.com

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Craig, I have no idea where you would be able to buy the cable, I've cut mine off old failed pumps over the years, I will have a look what I have, measure some and if it looks suitable I will PM you and send some.

Chris.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Fine multi stranded cable sheaved then connected to relays in the head lamp. Many years ago I bought a Britax did switch & horn button. Had no end of trouble with it as the contacts use to arc & burn up. When I understood what relays did I applied then and then with LED I used a lot of telephone wiring doubly sheaved but big wires for the main power supplies.
bananaman.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I use relays on some of my bikes as well, with a changeover relay for main/dip you only need one wire going to the switch to provide the earth instead of the normal three.

craig

VOC Member
Thank you Chris, Please let me know.

I see RIW listing and the dimmer harness is cheap enough, will see if they can send pic.

Rhode Island Wiring catalog
VINCENT MOTORCYCLE 1949-54 VINCENT Series C
1. Main Harness $93.00
2. Headlight and Dimmer Switch Harness $18.00

davidd

VOC Member
I’m told Rhode Island Wiring Service was given a NOS Miller loom to use as a pattern for making new sets. They list the dimmer part separately.

www.riwire.com

I had RIW duplicate the main harness as I had a NOS Miller wiring harness. As far as I know, Miller did not sell the dipswitch wiring with the harness. It was a separate item to be purchased. Thus, we had to guess about the dip switch harness, but it was consistent with the main harness.

The main harness replica is quite good with all the details done correctly to the original, except, RIW could not duplicate the odd-shaped ground tab. The wire lengths were copied from the original. They have a good inventory of vintage wiring supplies, but special items that have odd shapes were not produced by them. There were no PR38s in the harness kit.

David

craig

VOC Member
The correct Miller sealed beam bulb connector is a Cole Hersee part with number No.3028 for a pair. Still found on eBay and elswhere. They do sell them pre wired, but if you want a heavier wire for 6V, you need the plain connector to allow your wire gauge choice.

20210213_ColeConn2.jpg20210213_ColeConn1.jpg

The connections do not require solder, simply strip back the insulation (about 1/2"), insert and peel back the wire over the metal and slide into slot. Be careful these metal inserts do not come back out with ease.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Looking foot rests and finding they are both off . They look okay on the bench, but mounted not so good .
What is the best method to straighten these?

KTB - heating to dull red and using moderate force.
Seems I always refer to KTB and find answer after asking dumb questions.
I don't keep KTB in the shop as I don't want to get it dirty!

MO21FootRest3.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I had RIW duplicate the main harness as I had a NOS Miller wiring harness. As far as I know, Miller did not sell the dipswitch wiring with the harness. It was a separate item to be purchased. Thus, we had to guess about the dip switch harness, but it was consistent with the main harness.

The main harness replica is quite good with all the details done correctly to the original, except, RIW could not duplicate the odd-shaped ground tab. The wire lengths were copied from the original. They have a good inventory of vintage wiring supplies, but special items that have odd shapes were not produced by them. There were no PR38s in the harness kit.

David
Hi David, Are there any pictures of these wire harnesses please? Either NOS Miller or RIW ?
Thank you
Craig