Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here are the markings on an original Vincent Miller sealed beam bulb.
GE Mazda 4030 6-8V
5 to left of GE logo, and 3 to the right, date?
No alignment tits.
Cast in the glass front are
Made in USA
GE
SEALED BEAM
M34

Still in working condition, both beams.

20210206_BSSealedBeamOEM.jpg

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Here are the markings on an original Vincent Miller sealed beam bulb.
GE Mazda 4030 6-8V
5 to left of GE logo, and 3 to the right, date?
No alignment tits.
Cast in the glass front are
Made in USA
GE
SEALED BEAM
M34

Still in working condition, both beams.

View attachment 40293
I will stand corrected BUT

That is a H4 aka 'modern' sealed beam unit. I would be VERY surprised if it was an original Vincent works item. They all used 6V pre-focus bulbs.

craig

VOC Member
Hi Marty, Please stand to be surprised, These Miller sealed beams were standard items on most, if not all USA sold Vincent, after Phil's visit to the USA and meeting with Indian Sales Company in about 1949.
H4 style bulbs were mandatory on all USA sold new 1940 automobiles , so as early as 1940 these bulbs were being manufactured and supplied.

I believe Indian and Harley Davidson had also complied with this USA sealed beam law in 1940 and because of Vincent being marketed thru Indian, the sealed beam compliance was passed on to USA Vincents.

The alignment glass tits on USA headlight bulbs came into law in 1957-58, two years after USA autos introduced 12volts as the new voltage standard. So titless headlight bulbs, now 2020, for restoration on pre 1958 are at a premium.

This change to sealed beam/no park light turned the Miller switch fourth position into instruments/taillight only. So Miller switch for headlight OFF-OFF-Headlight-OFF.

General Electric Mazda 4030 bulb
Cole bakelite 3 tab plug
Miller special bucket and chrome ring

20161125_ColePlug1.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I also see the change in the handlebar dip switch from the outdated S157 baklite Miller dip switch to a more substantial Miller D/2 dip switch on the USA sealed beam head lamp harness. I believe this change for USA sold Vincents was a direct result of the Indian Sales Company meetings.

MillerD2dipswitch1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Received the wire supplies today, had the sheathing in stock.
Pulled the four wires thru the sheathing to get a start on the Shadow sealed beam wire harness or loom.
Keep an original harness near by for reference.
The speedo light wire is the original single wire out of the headlamp with a crudely spliced in pair of wires for lights.
I am still searching for a suitable triple cable to use for the dip switch.
The harness sheathing is British Wiring C712 by the meter.
The wire is Coventry Spares CS-5552 by the 10 foot lengths.

20210211_NewHarnessProgress1.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
just as shown here, an 11" single wire leaves bucket (terminal #7) with 8" outside, then two wires (4" & 5") are spliced to the end with solder and wrapped with what appears to be heat shrink electric tape.

However i am looking at Chantland (original Black Shadow) photos and see two individual wires going back into the bucket.

ChantlandBSWires1.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
What was the original dip switch wire like, I use old rubber 3 core flex, old pond pump cable is often a good source as it's very soft and obviously for outdoor use and not over thick wires.

craig

VOC Member
What was the original dip switch wire like, I use old rubber 3 core flex, old pond pump cable is often a good source as it's very soft and obviously for outdoor use and not over thick wires.
The dip switch triple cable is very soft and flexible with about 0.270" OD and it is unlike a wrinkly vinyl sheath. Also dull finish like rubber, not shiny like vinyl,

Where do you find old pond pump cable? Please get me some details to allow purchase.

craig

VOC Member
Ordered some special uninsulated ring terminals to suit me on this harness, to use in the headlamp bucket.

#8Connector1.jpg

Not much progress, but did make up some tabs for ground and battery attach.

20210212_HarnessProgress22.jpg20210212_HarnessTabs.jpg

Last edited: