Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Craig, the brackets you are needing, lifting handle, headlight brkts etc, contact Neal Videan, he makes his own, done correctly and painted to a high standard.

kerry

VOC Member
View attachment 39196

So here is my finished look of a Shadow at this time. Hills stand, electric start, correct color scheme, alloy fenders, chrome steel wheels, stainless spokes, 5" speedo, etc.

This picture is not my Shadow, just a good example for what i want for my project.
My Shadow, Dec 21, 2020, is the first posted picture!
Probable add WP suspension.
Will add VSM brakes on front.
Maybe Amal concentrics and filters.
Maybe a Craven rack.
Miller sealed beam.
LED lighting out the rear.
Alton dynamo, Podtronics reg
Shorai battery stuffed in "EXIDE" plastic box
Any idea please which Shorai battery will fit inside the exide case and have enough power for the electric start, Regards Kerry.

craig

VOC Member
Kerry, If you search for "Shorai" and put in my user name "craig", you will find thread on this.
Shorai battery in EXIDE case is easy, it is the cabling that requires a design plan.

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Any idea please which Shorai battery will fit inside the exide case and have enough power for the electric start, Regards Kerry.
Kerry, I know of at least three people who have put Shorai LiFePO4 batteries inside the exide case and easily power the electric start. There was even space to mount the starter solenoid inside as well.

Simon

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Link to the current SHORAI battery specs.

Measure the space available in your dummy case then pick the battery with the highest CCA that will fit. Remember that the battery can be installed in any position ie upright, on its end or on its back, All you need extra room for is the cables. With an electric start make sure the wiring from the battery to the starter motor is of sufficient gauge to handle the current without any significant power losses. This includes the earth wire,

Martyn

craig

VOC Member
Trial fitted the spring boxes and Armstrong shock to the RFM.
Armstrong shock has TOP stenciled in white on the top rear.
Appears new, but probably 20 years old.

The black on the uppers is very wavy and runny. I think it is original 1951 paint.
It is so nice, I am going to leave as is.

20210204_Springbox1.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
I like the Armstrong shockers, they work well and don't leak........A lot of modern shocks for these bikes are too stiff.......totally unnecessary........Check the diameter of the spring wire on the rear springs, should be about 0.300" diameter wire, if they are 0.320" these are sidecar springs and too stiff........Whilst we're at it, the front springs.......If you are not too heavy a person, only use the outer springs, leave the inner ones out......or else the front end will be too stiff.........If you planned on riding this bike a bit, you should have given very serious thought to upgrading the steering column to one of the modified ones Norman Walker supplied (timetraveller on here).......I feel sorry for all the others who didn't bother.......Standard Girdraulics and "Tank slappers" are a common trait. Still folk out there suffering this problem......... Any club member who receives MPH should have been well advised by now.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't think we should leave the inner springs out, We don't want the forks to come up too high,
On standard forks,
As I have always said, Fit an Hydraulic Steering Damper, For £50 and a few easy brackets,
Wish I had done it sooner !!!!. Cheers Bill.