Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Checked this morning and found both ends of my "previously owned" G5 shaft measure the same.
0.87425"
My checking the new G15 bearing bore, it seems to be 0.87460" at same 70F
See, I fixed it

20210119_G5Dim1.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
That’s weird.... I get approximately .874” depending on location and it’s undersize for the bearing. What does the new one measure at?

craig

VOC Member
i did not reset zero on my micrometer. i will try again.
shaft end , dont hold me to this, appears to be - 0.87425"
sorry , i am working on other projects , no focus.
You cant fix stupid, you just have to live with it.

inside bearing looks like 0.87460

Not using a new G5, "previously owned".

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Working with clutch pieces today, after learning how to operate a digital micrometer.
Some new pieces, some vintage....
the new C3/2 wont easily go thru the new bush PD22 in PD20 sprocket.
I can work it thru, but not free and easy.

20210119_ClutchWork1.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
No worries... thanks. Good you have 4 C20/1.... you’ll have a fighting chance of finding one that is “ok”.
Just a heads up, if that C21 is used, it’s worth checking the runout if you haven’t. Mine looked ok.. no scoring or bluing, but chucked it in the lathe to measure it and then chucked it in the garbage. If no lathe, you can check it on a flat surface or see if it sits flat against the C23. If not, either the C21 or C23 is warped. You may know all of this stuff already, so apologies if you do..... and we are all guilty of misreading measuring devises at some point.

And Bill... you can get electronic calipers with Bluetooth. You won’t even need your reading glasses. Just feed the results to your IPad or Bluetooth hearing aids.

vibrac

VOC Member
When I see the miriad uses a mobile phone is now used for (apart from always ringing ) I thank my lucky stars I cannot get a signal in my house, if I loose my wallet or car keys I panic a little, imagine if I lost a dam mobile phone and could not open my car, tell me I am ill, translate what the cat was saying and other 'necessities of life' now it seems I could not measure in my workshop either!, Thankfully at the moment it would just mean I couldn't ring a breakdown services or use GPS on the road otherwise it wouldent worry me. There is something to be said for the UK poor infrastructure.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Working with clutch pieces today, after learning how to operate a digital micrometer.
Some new pieces, some vintage....
the new C3/2 wont easily go thru the new bush PD22 in PD20 sprocket.
I can work it thru, but not free and easy.

View attachment 39733
could your problem be the new garter seal between the two bushes in the chain wheel be two tight on the newc3/2.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I thought Cyborg was taking the PEE ?,
But I would be lost without my Phone, Don't know why, In the old days we didn't have anything,
I remember thumbing a lift down the A1 at night, After I broke the T/side main shaft on my Goldie.
And when my Special stuffed a fibre pinion, After a long push, A couple of Lads got me and the Bike home ,
In a removal truck, Didn't want to wait 2 hours for the AA.
It's just all in the Head, Panic in my case !.