Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Update today fitted correct VSM required 09195/09074 bearing set. I used a little propane heat to expand hub to allow outer races to fit in with little tapping. I did use Loctite 641, per KTB, as a follow up on the races to ensure tight fit.

Using new Speet inner smooth axle, I needed a .020" shim on one side and a .010" on the other to space the the new cones at a suitable fit. then I needed .018" on the outside of each cone to allow final install of the new VSM brake plates.

I will need a final grease of the cones and the fitting of Speet special brass bearing seals.
20210116_VSMBrakeFit1.jpg

Trial fitted the front mudguard per KTB.
4.1/2", 11.1/2", 2.3/4"

20210116_FtMudGrd1.jpg

Front brace not available yet.

Got to move my rev counter bracket studs to proper locations

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Have you made a decision on paint? What is the plan for applying it?Paint the cases once they are together and do the barrels, heads, and covers separately?

craig

VOC Member
Painting is still an on going plan with 2k rattle can being my solution for the engine cases, cylinders, heads. I have not decided what to do about primer coat for these specific engine pieces.

All of the ancillary pieces -footrest support, engine plates, front kick stands, rear license plate holder, pivot bearing plate, brake plates, spring boxes, rear stand, etc....I normally would bead blast and take to my local powder coater......and I may do that now, but I want to see how this Spraymax does with my application. My weather has been too cold to pursue paint in my small heated shop.

I am looking at Eastwood rattle can 2k gloss black engine heat paint and black primer as Spraymax might not be good for heads or cylinders.

I do need to get the bearings installed in the case halves prior to paint , so that is next task.

20210108_CasePrep8.jpg

Previous owner stripped and polished these engine cases some time in the distant past, maybe the sixties.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Others may have some input on this, but if I were you, before you put the bearings in (and remove that seal carrier) stuff the cases in the oven and bake them for a while just to try and encourage some of the oil to either vacate the premises or turn itself into something that is less likely to create adhesion problems. I had some cylinders that were painted black. Stripped them with an industrial aircraft paint stripper, pressure washed them thoroughly and the ran them though the dishwasher on the pot scrubber mode twice. I was heating a muff up in the oven to replace the liner and oil started oozing out. As for how hot to set the oven.... good question.

davidd

VOC Member
I found that the oven just had to be warm. I put parts in the oven with just the light bulb on and I could wipe them down with solvent every day. I had to do it for about a week. If it will allow bread dough to rise it should be enough.

David

oexing

VOC Member
You should better set 200 Degrees C , no problem for cases, a few hours will do . But the oil cannot stand this heat and will turn to smoke and dry. That way I rescued oil soaked green Ferodos and indeed were good as new after this. Any thinner and solvent tried on brake linings will not help as they will not reach into pores down deep.

Vic

Cyborg

VOC Member
Craig, Have you checked the fit of the G5 in the timing side G15 bearing? I’m getting my cases ready for the final wash and decided to follow my own advice. Instead of being too snug this time, it is a little less than a slip fit. Haven’t measured it accurately, but about .001“ clearance between the shaft and the inner race. Enough to allow the inner bearing race to turn on the shaft. Interestingly the shaft doesn’t show any signs of having a bearing spinning on it.

craig

VOC Member
New bearings at all four fits, new G3/.G4 main shaft , old G5 layshaft......all fits are nice snug sliding fits.

Using my old G3/G4 , I was honking down on 180grit emery tape to achieve correct size at G4/G14 But same new G14 bearing with new G4 shaft, fit is perfect

MO16BrgFits1.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Finished the front wheel by greasing the tapered roller front wheel bearings and then installing the special Speet wheel bearing seals.

20210118_SpeetSeals1.jpg20210118_SpeetSeals2.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
When you have a moment.... any chance you could measure the bearing journals on your new G5? I’m assuming you purchased it from Coventry?