Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I did find that ET60/1 is supplied with seal surface.
Anyone running this vintage main bearing seal (G24,etc) on a twin?

ET60-1SealIssue1.jpg

Alyson

VOC Member
That seat on the blue bike looks like a Drilastic type - not so great with its rivets in rubber coated textile base. You can still get covers for them but really the Pagusa type is a better choice .
Drilastic Ebay

There are different types of Pagusa constructions and I will get one of them but cannot tell yet what´s best to fit to the Vincent , have not worked out how to. The Earles BMW type got no steel springs but a metalastic element for the driver seat, maybe suitable as well .

Vic
Pagusa rubber seats
I'm working on a '66 R60/2 BMW (Earles type) and have the solo Pagusa seat on it at the moment. If it helps, I can take some shots and post up ... just say the word. Alyson

oexing

VOC Member
Hi Alyson, thanks, I found some pictures about that metalastic Pagusa to show how these are mounted. Got my own R 69 S since 1972 but no saddle on her, dual seat. For fitting a Pagusa to the Vincent I have not yet decided how to and which type I´ll get, springs or metalastic. Some more months to go till I get to that stage of rebuilding.

Vic

craig

VOC Member
Had a problem removing outer race from hub, even with heat. This is a wheel built 8 years ago with a set of W5413 bearings and aluminum spacers. Actually i found 09195 races with w5413 cones.

Anyway, trying get races and spacers out to install a bearing set to accommodate VSM friendly bearings.
Unable to get to a TIG shop, i came up with another method of carving a slot in the race using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel, sticking a screwdriver in the slot , then tapping the slotted screwdriver from the other side with socket /extension.

Never know which way photo will post.

20210103_BearingTool2.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Aluminum bearing spacers are a little easier to pull, even tho they seemed to be stuck.
Hand drill 5/64 (random choice) hole.
fit a sheet rock screw to a small slide hammer puller after grinding sharp point off screw.
one knock, out it came.

20210103_SpacerPull1.jpg

I drilled a little too far first time, weight loss will ad to top speed.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Following along with the install of VSM brake , i was able to trim the required amount from a new H23 speedo gear. This will allow the gear to clear the new brake springs.

I used a Dremel with a grinding wheel , hand held, but it was too sloppy.......so i changed to a hand held flat file which provided a nicer cut and nicer finish.

20210104_SpeedoGearTrim.jpg

Now held up for Loctite 641, which i dont have ......red, blue, green, but not yellow. 641 will be used to secure the 09195 outer races in the now clean H38/1 hub.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
VSM best brake install (the drawing in the center) shows Timken 09195 races with 09074 cones , so that is where i am heading.

vsmaxleprint1-jpg.39121

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Dry ice in my area is $2 per pound and it is in pellet form called "nuggets" sold thru Praxair welding supply.
i am planning to use dry ice to fit these 09195 races as a precursor (training session) to my engine bearing installs.
I have shaved all the high spots from the hub bores caused by H23 speedo gear staking.

20210104_HubReady1.jpg

Last edited: