Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have used Eastwood’s version of that. Maybe made by the same people? Not sure. It is supposedly ok for higher temps. Although bought to use on an engine, it ended up on my frame, tank, etc. Seems fairly tough, but not bulletproof. Would use it again and would use it on an engine unless you come up with something better. The primer from them had an adjustable nozzle which was nice. Strange that the gloss black paint had a fixed nozzle although it worked ok. It is easier not to have to deal with cleaning a gun, but once you mix the aerosol, it has a pretty short shelf life.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Craig, those engine parts of yours look to have been vapor blasted looking at the high finish on the alloy........We found that paint simply did not want to adhere to the surface........literally had to sand blast all the alloy surfaces for the primer/paint to stick correctly.

craig

VOC Member
I think the heads and muffs were dry bead blasted, everything else, engine wise, is just hand sanded for paint. I will find out, as BS engine rattle can painting will proceed.

craig

VOC Member
Modified an aftermarket Amal type brake lever today to take the VSM dual brake cable system.

20201226_200435.jpg

But i also have a Suzuki dual cable lever assembly as well......and I have seen these Suzuki levers in service with VSM brakes.

The Amal type lever needed to be "bored" down thru the slotted area of the handlebar mount. A dremel was used with a tiny grinding taper and then the new 5mm "bore" actually provided by filing with small files thru the brass mount, Then tapped with metric 6x1 threads.

VSM supplies the new double "barrel" that slips into the lever section.

20201226_200227.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Both sets do not appear to have a balancing arrangement, just like the rear brakes on a Vincent unless its a model "P". My set of VSM brakes still uses the original balance beam with shortened levers that I copied from Erik's Comet at the French Rally when the crazy Dutchman tried them out and admitted they were better, but it was on a Comet and when Ted Davis did breaking tests the Comet ended up being the shortest distance from 30 MPH by about a foot back in their day. Also the time it saves in removing the front wheel, The Speet set up is slow by having to remove the cables from the brake plates.
bananaman.

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Good thing those brakes don't work so well backwards........ I've seen a few of the brake plate lugs break off on Girder type forks. The Suzuki twin pull levers are balancing, they are an excellent lever assembly, I've used several on race and road bikes, fabulous things.

Keith Martin

VOC Member
This is the "wiffle tree" Triumph used on the factory twins and triples with Fontana four leading shoe brakes. We made a few reproductions using a real one as pattern. I have an extra if some needs it.

IMG_6270.jpeg

IMG_6269.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6271.jpeg
    IMG_6271.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 25