Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Shim is just dead parallel, and flat
Mostly of bit better material.

Upon davidd sugestion, bought a shipload vinnie related shims from McArthur steel at mcmaster-carr.
They have them also from spring steel. Came in the other day.

Forgot the crank ones.....

Washer is just a washer.
Doing the laundry in the nut n bolts section.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Forget all the fancy work stands, brackets and rubbish........Just sit the engine on a nice rubber mat on the work bench.......then no damage done even to shiny new paintwork........that's all I do, simple and effective.

craig

VOC Member
What is the proper ET77/ET19 dimensions and why?
I have two different sets.

differing ET77 OD and thickness

20210126_ET77ET19Compare.jpg
20210126_ET77ET19Compare2.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Using the thinner ET77 and a new .030 shim under inboard roller ET92, crank seems central to me.

Why is this ET77 0.030 thinner needing a crank shim?

20210126_Centrality1.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you were to order a new ET77, it would be roughly 1.3590 x .4500. Can’t measure the new ET19, because it’s in the case. The 2 “normal” used ones are 1.3675 ID and 1.3655 ID. Widths are .3685 and .3735
Maybe your larger one was home made by some punter.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Craig, the mouth of each cylinder spigot is a nominal size, unless they have been bored out for larger capacity........Then you simply measure the distance from the side of the rod (or little end) across to the side of the mouth, and add shims to the crank to get the figure you need......Sometimes there is a split between the cylinders, so you just even it out as best you can. It just saves some time, as doing a full assembly of the crank, plus both case halves together is quite time consuming. The weight of the crank is generally enough to keep the bearings/spacers together without the need to bolt up the entire ESA assembly. You could sit the other case half on if you feel it easier to check the rods from each side of the cylinder mouths. Everyone has their own method, but I probably do it more than most, so I try to save time where I can. Cheers.