• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
20201220_ProjectShadow51.jpg

I was offered a Black Shadow project in 2013. I purchased the project and immediately started work on it.
Took the cylinders and heads to local Vincent machinist only 3 hrs away.
Crankshaft had been completed ,prior to my purchase, by a Canadian expert and also the tank was painted and done by "Bones".
Then, another Vincent project came up, Then a buddy stopped by and said" Go buy a BMW and lets travel the USA".
Then I got a wild hair and wanted to do the Trans America Trail (TAT). So I purchased a Husqvarna 701E and proceeded to farkle it out for the off road journey. So the Shadow was boxed up for another day.

All that behind, I am now focused on this Shadow project.
The pic above shows the big stuff with a thousand other pieces and projects in boxes.

My goal is a street friendly Black Shadow to ride on a semi daily basis, couple times a week.

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

VOC Member
My twin crankcase halves will just fit our oven, one at a time. One of the halves fell over. The dents in the oven bottom are still there! The oven is now a "No Go" area for any motorcycle parts and I suspect that a hidden security camera may have been fitted in the kitchen. Might have to get my own oven. ;)
First Covid shot done, next one in a few weeks.:cool:
For kudos, buy your better half a brand new oven - then install the old one in your workshop!

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Went riding Nortons today, warm enough to not need too many layers, sunshine all day.

Made some minor progress laying out plans for harness into head lamp.
I am lucky to have a rather original sealed beam Miller to follow.
I am using a new reproduction 4 position switch.

20210303_SealedBeamResto1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Picked up powder coat pieces today. Wow , way nicer than OEM.

20210304_PowderCoatPieces1.jpg

In keeping with the tradition of over restoration, this stuff is beautiful.

craig

VOC Member
I was able to assemble the rear wheel with new powder coated brake plates. Greased the new wheel bearing, set final clearance.

20210304_RearWheelAssm1.jpg

I did not have the external or internal mount studs on the brake plates powder coated. I will hand brush some black on the external studs after final fitting to the Shadow.

Powder coater I used was Hi-Tech powder coat , Boonsboro MD. They have been my hi quality coater since 2006. To achieve my needed results all pieces are prepped by me, bead blasted, 320 sanded out, metal prepped....ready to bake and coat.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I was looking , but it must have been several years ago as i don't recall exactly. Coulda been last month as I don't recall exactly. I think it was either eBay, VOC spares, Coventry spares................but it may have been a man in UK, jeez i dont recall

20210304_WheelWeights1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Assembled the sealed beam Miller and trial fitted to the headlamp stays.
No ammeter yet, I filed the repro ammeter face plates in a safe place, years ago, and now cant find them. I will order new if no find tonight.

20210307_SealbeamTrial1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I was able to finish the new face installed into a period Miller ammeter.
Connected all wiring as shown.

20210312_MillerSealedBeam1W.jpg

There is no parking light, so terminal 5 on the switch is unused, screw removed.
When rotated to last position (L) the headlight goes off leaving instruments and tail.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
New face on ammeter refreshes the appearance. The vintage Miller ammeter scale screws looked very nice on this ammeter.

20210314_NewFaceOldAm1.jpg

Needle zero is a little off, but fine for my use.

craig

VOC Member
Finished with the Black Shadow harness for now. I am leaving the tails unfinished for now (batt+, ground-, tail, dynamo) past experience finds custom fit best.

Decided to use Lucas bullets for speedo light set, might revise later.
Miller dip switch pad was cut from a Norton battery pad (Andover).
Dip switch cable supplied by Chris Launders.

20210312_Harness22.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Worked up Exide battery case revision to appear as a period (1946-1955) Exide 3-EK5AL rather than an Exide 3-ER7L from 1956-1958.

I have always been disappointed that the earlier Exide battery case is not produced now that digital printing is wide spread.

20210221_ExideCaseRevision2.jpg

1/4 x 1/2 brass strap eBay, cut to fit top slots, drilled tapped 1/4- 20
1/4-20 x 1" brass bolts eBay
1/4-20 brass inserts eBay
10mm black nylon nuts eBay (17mmAF)
JBWeld local store

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Received my new Erik Schellhaas modified Vincent Speet brake levers today. This will allow the balance beam to be active and may allow for a series D brake switch.

Cable fab is under way, not something I do every year for sure.

20210316_SchellhaasBrakes1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Left VOC front brake cable HB9AS under modification at this time.
Shorten the lower cable sheath, fit new ferrule, cut inner cable, flare steel inner, prep for solder joint, then?
solder iron?, propane torch?, mini propane torch? I have forgotten.

20210316_SchellhaasBrakesCableLeft1.jpg

Martyn Goodwin

VOC Member
Left VOC front brake cable HB9AS under modification at this time.
Shorten the lower cable sheath, fit new ferrule, cut inner cable, flare steel inner, prep for solder joint, then?
solder iron?, propane torch?, mini propane torch? I have forgotten.

View attachment 41111
Get yourself a Solder pot , not expensive and makes a massive difference to the look and strength of the finished cables. Here is an example of one. Then use solder with some Silver content - it is much stronger.

craig

VOC Member
Hi Gary, I followed what he did with this mod to Speet brakes (VSM) on the thread "New Project" and then sent a him a PM. He said yes he could supply/fabricate. I sent my VSM levers USPS priority small box and the fabrication thru his local custom shop took about a month. I am impressed, but have not figured out how the cables are constructed. The fabricator was able to take paypal, so easy for me.

Last edited:

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories